I-485 and Traffic tickets

kampala

Hi,

I'm preparing my I-485 and the instructions about traffic tickets are not clear. 

"In general, you do not need to submit documentation relating to traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual physical arrest if the penalty was only a fine of less than $500 or points on your driver’s license. However, you must submit such documentation if the traffic incident resulted in criminal charges or involved alcohol, drugs, or injury to a person or property."

And, it comes under Criminal Acts and Violations (There's no oxford comma so it's Criminal Acts and Violations not Criminal Acts,and Violations). Anyone filed after Aug 2017 had to furnish the details of traffic tickets like speeding (< 15 mph) and burned out taillights? 

Help is appreciated. 

If it is not as serious charge as you mentioned above, it is no matter of worry.

However, you look closely at Form I-485, Part 8, questions #25 and #27.

#25. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, charged or detained......?

#25. Have you EVER plead guilty to or......?

In both cases, if you were given a ticket that means you were cited and plead guilty. In that case, you will have to say YES to both questions.

The decision won't be affected by these answers, but you have to truthful

I think if you had minor traffic citations such as speeding tickets or parking tickets, you don't have to mention in the 485 forms.  Speeding tickets and parking tickets are common minor traffic citations and does not affect immigration process. If it was then officers at POE will not allow such people to enter the USA, and their would be more noise in the immigration community.

If you say "yes" to those questions, then you have to provide more details such as what was the citation for and reason, and place and date.  for that you have to get a driving record from DMV. 

As you mentioned, if the traffic citation involved any DUI or physical damage to others then you need to disclose that information, otherwise if it was just a ticket less than $500 you should be good.

6 hours ago, satya2k1 said:

Hi Kampala,

I will take back my previous response.. after a lot of search online, I think as per new I-485 instructions traffic violations need to be disclosed.  See murthy's article from August 217 here:

https://www.murthy.com/2017/07/27/new-form-i-485-must-be-used-starting-25-aug-2017/

This is now the same as for naturalization applications. They unified what they ask for.

• 11 months later...