H1B transfer from Cap-exempt to Cap-subject

query212

Hi,

I have been with a cap-exempt employer (A) for a long time. However, a few years ago, I tried to move to a cap-subject employer (B) who filed a petition for me in that year's quota. That petition was approved at that time. But, during the time between April and Oct that year, my situation changed and I remained with my existing employer (A), and have been that way ever since. I never went on to employer B's payroll and have no idea if and when my petition was canceled/taken-back. Since then, I have had a couple H1 extensions with my current employer A without issues.

I have an approved I-140 with employer A since a few years, and also I am past my first 6 years of H1B with employer A. I am thinking about moving jobs now. The approved cap-subject petition (by employer B) is less than 6 years old.

What are my options?

1. Can any cap-subject employer apply for a H1 transfer for me? If yes, can I move to any cap-subject employer within 6 years from the date of employer B's petition?

2. Am I considered to be out of quota? If yes, for how long? Do they count 6 years from the approval of employer B's petition as me being out of quota?

3. Will I only be able to move to other cap-exempt organizations until I get my green card?

4. If I can just transfer to a cap-subject employer, can I start working for them while their petition is pending?

Archived