I94 expiring in Nov 2011 but visa stamp valid till 2013

manavraina

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. My visa and H-1B(I-797) both are valid but my I-94 was expiring because of my passport although I did not receive my new passport until after the I-94 expired. They issued my wife's I-94 with the same expiry date as mine since I am the primary and she is my dependent(H4). Anyway, we went to multiple CBP offices hoping they would issue us a new I-94 but they all denied stating that they would only do that if they were to make a mistake on the I-94 at the Port of Entry. But in the current scenario it is not a mistake as you were not carrying a passport with enough validity with respect to your visa validity and hence they would not correct it. Although, on this forums I did find some people posting that they had success at other CBP offices both at the airport and deferred sites. I have tried at CBP offices at the San Francisco intl airport, CBP deferred site in downtown San Francisco, CBP office at the San Diego intl airport, CBP head quarters and deferred site in down town San Diego with no luck at all and each one stated the same as above. Further the head quaters guy told me that they use to do that but they got new rules not to do that any more. Finally I got a new I-94 after going otuside the country i.e. I crossed the Tijuana US-Mexico border by foot and made a U-turn right at the border back in to the US side. At the POE, the officer checked all my documents like visa, I-797 and then issued me and my wife a new I-94; we paid around $6 per I-94 as a processing fee. So, try at various locations before deciding to go out of country and going out of country could merely mean just crossing the nearest international border depending on where you live or a fun filled vacation. Good Luck

• 7 months later...

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. My visa and H-1B(I-797) both are valid but my I-94 was expiring because of my passport although I did not receive my new passport until after the I-94 expired. They issued my wife's I-94 with the same expiry date as mine since I am the primary and she is my dependent(H4). Anyway, we went to multiple CBP offices hoping they would issue us a new I-94 but they all denied stating that they would only do that if they were to make a mistake on the I-94 at the Port of Entry. But in the current scenario it is not a mistake as you were not carrying a passport with enough validity with respect to your visa validity and hence they would not correct it. Although, on this forums I did find some people posting that they had success at other CBP offices both at the airport and deferred sites. I have tried at CBP offices at the San Francisco intl airport, CBP deferred site in downtown San Francisco, CBP office at the San Diego intl airport, CBP head quarters and deferred site in down town San Diego with no luck at all and each one stated the same as above. Further the head quaters guy told me that they use to do that but they got new rules not to do that any more. Finally I got a new I-94 after going otuside the country i.e. I crossed the Tijuana US-Mexico border by foot and made a U-turn right at the border back in to the US side. At the POE, the officer checked all my documents like visa, I-797 and then issued me and my wife a new I-94; we paid around $6 per I-94 as a processing fee. So, try at various locations before deciding to go out of country and going out of country could merely mean just crossing the nearest international border depending on where you live or a fun filled vacation. Good Luck

Ravikanth ..i was in similar situation and need help from you reg -travel to mexico and get a new i-94. can you please help me

• 2 years later...

I have my H1B Valid visa till sept . But when i came to USA in 2014, i was given i94 till sept'15 since my passport was expiring in sept'15.

Can any one please let me know if i have to travel Back to India or any other country to get my i94 extended.

Is there any other way to get my i94 extended till my visa expiry date

Thanks

Archived