How long is legal allowed period between switching employers on H1B?

chatm

I received H1B transfer (change of employer )approval and start date was X but i had to take sick leave for a week  prior to joining Date X  as i was not well.

If my past employer does not provide my paycheck for this period will that be deemed illegal stay ? Can employer run paycheck mentioning sick leaves day for that duration ?

There is no restriction on the period switching employers. One may chose to do so anytime. However, it is recommended that you wait until you generate 2 paychecks to provide the later in support of another Change of Employer petition.

Employers are not allowed to generate any paycheck than your paycheck that they are due to pay you for the sick leaves. If the sick leaves are unpaid, there will still be a paycheck showing negative balance that is owed by you in terms of paid time of days and not the $ value.

45 minutes ago, Centepede said:

There is no restriction on the period switching employers. One may chose to do so anytime. However, it is recommended that you wait until you generate 2 paychecks to provide the later in support of another Change of Employer petition.

Employers are not allowed to generate any paycheck than your paycheck that they are due to pay you for the sick leaves. If the sick leaves are unpaid, there will still be a paycheck showing negative balance that is owed by you in terms of paid time of days and not the $ value.

@Centepede Thanks, so 1 week gap between last date at past employment & joining new employer won't be an issue, 

29 minutes ago, chatm said:

@Centepede Thanks, so 1 week gap between last date at past employment & joining new employer won't be an issue, 

It is recommended that you keep the gaps as minimum as possible. Avoid if possible. It is a common practice to take such short 1 week gaps but don't let them pile up if you are a frequent job switcher.

Archived