H1B dropbox experience Mumbai

smgnr

I dropped off documents at Mumbai consulate on 22nd of Nov. When I stamped my visa 3 years ago, I was in the same company in a very similar position. Its is a big US firm with over 25k employees. So I expected to be done with this process in a couple of weeks max

Here is my timeline

22 Nov - Dropped off Docs

29 Nov - Got 221g for fingerprinting

30 Nov - Provided Fingerprints

Its Dec 14 today and still no update. Its annoying when people who went along with me got their visa issued on Dec 4th.

I called up the embassy and they said I need to wait for atleast 60 days. This is kindof insane since its the same company as before. 

I am thinking of asking for my passport back and will ask them to keep the admin processing of h1b open in the hope they may probably move my application forward.

Any advice? This is really frustrating .

22 hours ago, smgnr said:

I called up the embassy and they said I need to wait for atleast 60 days. This is kindof insane since its the same company as before. 

How is it possible to call embassy? As far as i know there is no published phone number to call US consulate/s. Are you talking about calling the VFS helpdesk ?

@nmurthy Sorry wrong choice of words, yeah called the VFS helpdesk (found info from http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-main-contactus.asp)

I emailed at support-india@ustraveldocs.com yesterday (Dec 14th) telling them that it had been 2+ weeks and 10+ business days since my case was updated.

Today (Dec 15th) , only the last update date was changed from 30th Nov to 15th Dec. But the status is still "Admin Processing" . I dont know if this is a good or a bad thing.

@Rameshwar Rao If you have submitted you documents for dropbox in India, then they get updated IST. Usual timings are around 9 am to around 5 pm. But they vary depending on the consulate.

2 hours ago, smgnr said:

Today (Dec 15th) , only the last update date was changed from 30th Nov to 15th Dec. But the status is still "Admin Processing" . I dont know if this is a good or a bad thing.

it is always a good thing to see they are working on your case and updating it. There was a similar case like yours and that person was really getting frustrated too. Then one day his record got updated, but it still said admin-processing. The very next day he got his passport back. Hang in there, you will get yours soon.

@smgnr please share as soon as you have some update! one of my friends' friend who had submitted documents in Bangalore to be forwarded to Chennai consulate in the week of 12/04th has been called for interview tomorrow.

I had submitted mine on Monday 12/11 in New Delhi, India.

Tuesday 12/12 case was created

Wednesday 12/13 changed to 'admin processing'

Thursday 12/14 same status

Friday 12/15 same status

@stampwithgrace could you guess how soon I can have it approved?

@nmurthy Thank you for the positive words. I know couple other people who had same timeline as me, whose last update date changed to 15th Dec and their status changed to issued today. Still for me no update :(. My email request to escalate/expedite the case was rejected with the usual wait 60 days message.

@stampwithgrace Thanks, but no update for me today, I just hope to get it before Christmas. 

@Rameshwar Rao In last 3 weeks, I have heard Delhi cases being approved relatively faster than Mumbai. But there is no guarantee on when your application would be updated. Its the holiday season so things would def be slower.

5 hours ago, smgnr said:

@nmurthy Thank you for the positive words. I know couple other people who had same timeline as me, whose last update date changed to 15th Dec and their status changed to issued today. Still for me no update :(. My email request to escalate/expedite the case was rejected with the usual wait 60 days message.

@stampwithgrace Thanks, but no update for me today, I just hope to get it before Christmas. 

@Rameshwar Rao In last 3 weeks, I have heard Delhi cases being approved relatively faster than Mumbai. But there is no guarantee on when your application would be updated. Its the holiday season so things would def be slower.

I wish I could give you a firm answer. 

In my case I got it in 2 weeks exactly after my interview and three weeks total after I submitted for dropbox. 

Basically keep an eye on the last updated date. If it changes thats a good thing. 

On 12/16/2017 at 1:01 AM, nmurthy said:

it is always a good thing to see they are working on your case and updating it. There was a similar case like yours and that person was really getting frustrated too. Then one day his record got updated, but it still said admin-processing. The very next day he got his passport back. Hang in there, you will get yours soon.

@nmurthy Does it make a difference when lawyer/employer emails ustraveldocs instead of the applicant? 

Hi,

I am in a similar situation:

12/08 - Submitted Drop Box application in Mumbai Trade Center

12/15 - Status changed to 'Admin Processing', got passport pick-up email. Collected passport and it came with white slip '221g', request for Fingerprint Verification at consulate.

12/18 - Visited consulate, provided Fingerprints. They confirmed nothing else was required from me, and that the passport should be available within 3-4 business days.

Today (12/21) - Status is still 'Admin Processing'.

Not sure what is going on here, I have provided whatever was needed from my side as soon as I could...

7 hours ago, smgnr said:

@nmurthy Does it make a difference when lawyer/employer emails ustraveldocs instead of the applicant? 

nope. its not going to make any difference. Just remember that you are caught in the holiday cycle. Staff in consulate may be on vacation to spend time with their family during Xmas and new year. Hang in there. You will have it soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did submitted my document and passport on Nov 22nd for dropbox in Hyderabad, got an email on Nov 28th asking to come to Consulate on Dec 8th for fingerprint verification after that no update, contacted VFS help desk on Dec 20th they did reset my case and sent another email asking me to come to consulate on Dec 21st this time I asked VO how long this process will take her response was 3 to 5 business days which lead me to postpone flight tickets, case updated on Jan 3rd still in AP but got email on Jan 4th asking me to come to consulate for fingerprint verification this time I decide to as VO officer why I have to be in 3 times for fingerprint verification.

Once VO took my 10 prints and put my passport aside I told VO this is the third time in 20 days I been in Consulate for fingerprint verification looks like even she was surprised that I have been three times for fingerprint verification, she enter my passport details and said you been here on Dec 8th and Dec 21 and today I said yes , she went inside a came back with a college and she did some process after that VO officer told me that on Dec 8th my fingerprints were not good and on Dec 21 someone gave fingerprints instead of me, she said system was mismatching cases and she informed me that she just verified my fingerprints and it's all good and she also attached a sticky notes on passport indicating I was in consulate already three times and she did verified my prints and everything is good so that next case officer wont sent out another email.

It's been 2 days still no update fingers crossed.

my only suggestion is to you guys don't wait for case update call customer support after 5 business days and keep calling utill there is an update.

Archived