H4 and Adoption

justonequestion

I would be applying for H4 visa for my wife in India.

- This is my first marriage and my wife's second. She is legally divorced and we are legally married with proper certificates of court.

- She has a son from her first marriage but she has the full legal custody of the child.

- I was informed that for my son's passport I will also have to additionally legally "adopt" him as I am not his biological father, even though my wife has full custody of child.

1. I am doing the above court process, I wanted to check that whether anything like this will also be required if I go for visa stamping.

2. Though this is just a adoption for the sake of sufficing passport rules in India, are there any such rules for visa stamping also in such so called "adoption" process.

I am also in the same boat. My first wife is deceased due to some health issues after giving a birth to a baby boy. Now I am planning to get married again for the sake of my son. My concerns are

1) do I need to file any legal adoption documents in US courts as my son is US Citizen.

2) When my wife goes for H4 interview in India, does she need to show any legal documents apart from our marriage certificate and Indian Government issued Death Certificate of my first wife as my first wife is listed as dependent when we first came to us.

Archived