H1B Stamping in Mexico and travel on expired visa

Nahs

1. My I-797 is valid till end 2018
2. My stamped H1B visa in passport has expired mid 2017
3. My Indian passport is valid till 2025
4. My PERM has been initiated on May, 2017 and is currently in progress.

I want to go for my H1B stamping in Nogales ( or Hermosillo ), Mexico being 3 hours ( 6 hours ) by road from Phoenix, Arizona.

Please advise on the following -

1. Travelling to Mexico on expired visa/valid I-797 combination

2. Recent stamping experience

3. Pre-requisites of additional checklists as compared to getting it stamped from India ( in some forums / experiences delay is reported due to the approval not present in their system ? )

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, Nahs said:

1. My I-797 is valid till end 2018
2. My stamped H1B visa in passport has expired mid 2017
3. My Indian passport is valid till 2025
4. My PERM has been initiated on May, 2017 and is currently in progress.

I want to go for my H1B stamping in Nogales ( or Hermosillo ), Mexico being 3 hours ( 6 hours ) by road from Phoenix, Arizona.

Please advise on the following -

1. Travelling to Mexico on expired visa/valid I-797 combination

2. Recent stamping experience

3. Pre-requisites of additional checklists as compared to getting it stamped from India ( in some forums / experiences delay is reported due to the approval not present in their system ? )

Thanks in advance

Sent a message to your Inbox

On 9/11/2017 at 11:52 PM, Sam3895 said:

If you have a valid unexpired H1B Visa stamping in your passport, you do not need mexico visa. If your visa is expired, you might have to apply for mexican visa. I have been to Tijuana a few years back and the above input is from my personal experience.

As per my knowledge... Having a valid I-797 is enough even with expired US visa.

I been to stamping in June with same case, got stamped without any issues.

If needed, we can take temporary permit valid for a week at Border for 25 $.

• 8 months later...

@venkatramrm@gmail.com Hi when did you go to Tijuana? I am in the situation. Need to go on may 25th but no Mexico visa appointments are available. I have I-797 / I94 valid up to May 2021. My visa expired a week ago. Is it possible to enter Tijuana for visa stamping on recently expired visa with valid I 797 and I94? Please share your experience. 

On 5/18/2018 at 8:51 PM, km001 said:

@venkatramrm@gmail.com Hi when did you go to Tijuana? I am in the situation. Need to go on may 25th but no Mexico visa appointments are available. I have I-797 / I94 valid up to May 2021. My visa expired a week ago. Is it possible to enter Tijuana for visa stamping on recently expired visa with valid I 797 and I94? Please share your experience. 

@km001 Sent you some useful info to your Murthy forum Inbox

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2018 at 1:27 PM, Anup1567 said:

I am in same situation like you. Mine expired last year aug 2017. What are y'all experience? Is it risky? I have changed my employer since my 1st h1b stamping. I have valid i797. 

Change of employer is not a concern for stamping, Drop me an email . I will share Tijuana group link, so you  can connect with other folks. Good luck !!!

• 1 month later...

Archived