Successful H1B Stamping at New Delhi

dotnacker8

Hi all,

I'm like most of the folks on the forum, silently lurking and getting useful information in preparing their application. Here is my way of contributing back by sharing my stamping experience.

Background:

I am a direct employee and have been working with my employer for last 3 years. Been in US since 2000, earlier on F1 and then on H1B. I transferred to India due to family reasons and worked from here for more than a year. In April, employer filed a new H1B petition with another 6 year validity which was approved in June end.

Documents taken

---------------

* All the required stuff like I-797, passport, photographs, HDFC payment receipts, DS-160 confirmation letter etc.

* Copy of I-129.

* Employment and salary verification letter from current employer.

* All the appointment letters from current and previous employers. Also took with me all the employment verification letters I had taken on occasions in past.

* Pay stubs of current job for last 6 months.

* Last 3 pay stubs of all the previous jobs.

* Last 6 months bank statement.

* W-2s of all the years I've been in US.

* Tax documents of last 3 years.

* Old I-129 petitions.

* Old I-797s from previous and current employer.

* Copies of OPT card and I-20s.

* Degree certificates and transcripts of both MS and BS.

For wife:

* Photographs.

* Marriage certificate [original and copy]

* Wedding album

* Wedding card copy

* Copy of my passport and I-797.

Appointment

-----------

I had mine and my wife's appointment on Aug 4 at New Delhi at 11. We left house targeting to reach around 10.30 in case we need to get another set of photographs but there was no traffic so reached early around 10 AM. We went to the area where they queue up and saw that they were already accepting people with 10.30 and 11.00 appointment. So we went to the queue.

Doubt #1: Are there locker facility at embassy?

Both of us had our mobiles with them but luckily New Delhi embassy has locker facility. Mind you, it's only for small items like mobiles, pen drives etc. You're not allowed to take ANY electronic item in. They take your phones and give you tokens which you can collect on your return.

Doubt #2: Are you allowed to carry our backpacks?

I don't think big backpacks will be allowed but ladies are allowed to carry their handbags [again no electronics and restricted items]. Even though we had our files in plastic bags, I also saw one guy with a back pack.

So after handing over the mobiles, we went to the next area, just before entrance, where they check you appointment letter and passport. After that, we went in and stood in a queue. This is the documents arrangement section which was in two stages. The first one checked my appointment letter and asked for my passport, I-797, DS-160 confirmation letter and stapled them all together. She did the same for my wife. The next lady asked the visa category and gave us a token based on that [only one for both of us since we had family appointment].

Next we went inside a room where there was a long queue. Here, there were 10 windows. I also noticed there was a photographer with printer sitting there [yes, inside, next to windows] charging 100 bucks for 2 photos. After a long wait, we went to one of the windows and the lady [seemed like VFS employee] took our stapled passport and stuff. She asked us if we want to make any correction to the application. I said no. Then she sent us to next window for finger printing.

The lady at finger printing window asked for our documents, took prints of all 10. While we were waiting for our prints to be taken, our token number got called at one of the windows for consular interview. So after finishing this, I went to VFS help desk and asked should I go to the same window displayed earlier or wait. She asked me to go to one of free windows.

After usual exchange of pleasantries, I handed over my and my wife's documents to VO. He started typing something on his system and after about 30 seconds asked me what my company does. I told him briefly. He then continued typing. I noticed he had a basket labeled "Issued" behind him and it had bunch of passports. He then wrote "CWP" on my old visa and after another 30-60 seconds, he said you'll get your passports in a weeks time and put them in issued basket. We thanked him and walked away from there.

That's it! They didn't check any other documents or asked any questions to my wife. The next day we collected our passports from VFS office.

Over all, it was a very smooth experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by rajMarch212011:

Congrats for your stamping.

Did you carry any client letter/contract etc.

What was your model. EC, EVC, inhouse?

How big is your employer? Desi or American?

Pure consulting or they have products as well?

Thanks.

It's an American product company -- all in house, no consulting.

Archived