I-485 question

santosh1977

I am working as a Full time Employee with a Fortune 500 company and my I-140 is approved. Next year when (if) my date becomes current can I file I-485 by myself without involving my company or does my company has to file the papers?

I have something in background towards which I don't want to attract any interest if it can be prevented.

If I can file by myself then I don't have to show anything to my employer.

But if they have to file the docs, then I will be in an unwanted situation.

I would appreciate any suggestion that can help me.

Yes, you can do it. From your employer, you will need a copy of your I-140 approval and your job verification letter. That's it. It is recommended that you hire your own attorney, however, you probably have enough time to get the petition prepared on your own.

I do believe there is some expectation of privacy even if you use an attorney paid by the company (but not a lawyer who works at the company), since when they represent you on I-485 they have fiduciary duty to you. Of course, you can always say that you will save the company a few bucks by filing yourself. The form is like two pages of general information and three pages of fluff. The trick is in the supporting information, but the instructions are pretty good. Good luck!

Archived