H1B First Time Stamping in Montreal, Canada

ninja_naj123

Hi I am an engineer/technologist from Bangladesh working for an IT/tech consulting company in Greater Boston Area. 

I did my Bachelors in Engineering in the US and worked under OPT and then had Change of Status to H1B in 2015. 

I have decided to apply for my H1B visa stamp (albeit, a little late) in Montreal, Canada (as that is only earliest date available) since I need to travel in early July. 

My F-1 visa is expired, of course. But I was in full legal status during my stay in the US. This will be my first H1B stamping.

Is applying for the visa stamp in Montreal, Can a good option? Do people have any experiences at the Montreal US consulate? Anything else that folks could help with? 
Or any other information I can provide for you to give me more informed answers?

Greatly appreciate any/all responses!

On 5/6/2017 at 0:34 AM, ninja_naj123 said:

Hi I am an engineer/technologist from Bangladesh working for an IT/tech consulting company in Greater Boston Area. 

I did my Bachelors in Engineering in the US and worked under OPT and then had Change of Status to H1B in 2015. 

I have decided to apply for my H1B visa stamp (albeit, a little late) in Montreal, Canada (as that is only earliest date available) since I need to travel in early July. 

My F-1 visa is expired, of course. But I was in full legal status during my stay in the US. This will be my first H1B stamping.

Is applying for the visa stamp in Montreal, Can a good option? Do people have any experiences at the Montreal US consulate? Anything else that folks could help with? 
Or any other information I can provide for you to give me more informed answers?

Greatly appreciate any/all responses!

As far as i know, Canada and Mexico are not accepting the initial F1 -> H1 stamping. I believe it's better to go to home country.

Folks can throw more light on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived