Green card through marriage

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

What are the steps and forms to be filled if a citizen is filing green card for their spouse on H1B with an approved I-140 and currently working? That includes EAD, Travel in case of emergency..etc. Everything. I tried to look for a thread that lists everything, unable to find one. Can some one plz help?


Link to comment

Here is the list of forms I have -- Its not clear to me which all to file.

1.  I-130 - YES

2. I-485 - YES

3. G-325A - BIOGRAPHIC FORM - Somewhere in USICS website I read that, we need to submit 2 copies, one for each of us. -- ?


5. I-765 - Application for employment authorization -- ?

6. I-693 - Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record --?

7. I-864 - Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA -- ??

Required documents to be provided:

Required Documentation

To complete the process, the petitioner must submit:

  • Form I-130 (signed with proper fee), with all required documentation, including:

    • Two completed and signed G-325A forms (one for you and one for your spouse)

    • A copy of your civil marriage certificate

    • A copy of all divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that demonstrate that all previous marriages entered into by you and/or your spouse were terminated

    • Passport style photos of you and your spouse (see Form I-130 instructions for photo requirements)

    • Evidence of all legal name changes for you and/or your spouse (may include marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court judgment of name change, adoption decrees, etc.)

  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you must demonstrate your status with:

    • A copy of your valid U.S. passport OR

    • A copy of your U.S. birth certificate OR

    • A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR

    • A copy of your naturalization certificate OR

    • A copy of your certificate of citizenship

Can someone plz help me out which all forms to be provided and which are not to be?


Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

I got laid-off on may 11th. My 60 days grace period ends on july 11th. I couldn't find a job till now.

I am planning to get married to my US citizen girl friend of 7 months soon (after july 11th).  

1. Should I apply for a COS to B1/B2 visa to be in status after july 11th, and then get married and apply for Marriage based green card? I entered US on valid H1b visa several times in last few years, most recently in April 2017.

I was told applying for B1/B2 will be counter-productive as B1/B2 has non-immigrant intent so it will harm my case for marriage based green card. Please advise so that I can decide on whether to apply for B1/B2 before Jull 10th or not.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.