EB2 Role change

pagalguy

Hello. 

I completed my 6 years on h1b this January 2017. My employer started perm process in 2013, and my PD is May 2014, have approved I-140 now. (Have new h1b extension from Jan 2017 to Jan 2020. Also my wife is on H4 EAD. Just giving the background , not sure if its relevant. )

In the perm process, they had filed as  lead database engineer. Now I am trying to shift roles with in the same company, to Automation engineer. I contacted HR, and they said, they had to talk to lawyer  and see whether I should re-do the whole perm process, after discussing about the new duties in the new role.

As I am in Eb2-India category, and PD(Both final action dates and i-485 dates) doesn't seem to move beyond 2009-2010, was wondering why go through the whole process again.I have these 2 questions. These might be very naive questions, but please bear with me.

1) Can I ask them that, I will change the role, but not do perm process, and lets keep i-140 as it is. Will that be a problem? 

2) I am not sure, if I can ask this, I am thinking to ask my manager, that I do both DB engineer job and Automation engineer(40%-60% or 30%-70%), but on paper for immigration purpose, want to continue as DB engineer, so that I don't have to change the immigration. Will this be a problem when I am filing for I-485?

The reason I am asking these 2 questions is, I may change my employer in 1-2 years, so I do not see any point in going through the whole process, which takes minimum 2 years again.

Please advise.

Archived