N400 interview with a changed address & job

vmbhosale

Hello friends,  

We (my wife and I) have filed N-400 when I was living in Johnston, IA (May 3, 2016). We got our fingerprinting done on June 3rd 2016. Meanwhile my startup got funding in India and I resigned my job with the State Govt. Startup required me to stay in India for about 5.5 months. Yes, I spoke with USCIS officer regarding this (who okay'ed me living out of the US while N-400 was pending), I filed change of address with the USCIS and moved my stuff to a friend (cant have an empty house and spend on rent/electricity etc. while away for an unknown period) who lives 10 miles away from my "now old" address.

I just (Dec 8th 2016) came back (immigration officer suggested we file re-entry permit) for my N-400 interview with my wife on Dec 13, 2016. All my above stated reasons & paperwork is solid till date (never received RFE ever), also my reason (startup, funding) to leave the US for such an extended period of time for the first time. But as you know happiness (my startup) comes before anything! Also, I sincerely plan to come back to expand my startup/business here in the US.

My question is - do we need to be prepared for anything special during our interview? Do I need to carry any special documentation?

Hmm, what a USCIS officer says has no meaning. They are not trained in the law.

You need to live in the district where you filed for 3 months. Since you didn't, your petition will likely get denied.

You should discuss your situation with a good immigration lawyer.

Archived