F-1 with Public intoxication and Possible Issues

abdul_b

Hi there, 

A close friend with F-1 visa was arrested with public intoxication in January, and he pleaded guilty because he was leaving the US 2 weeks after the indecent. The student is coming back to school in December and he just got his new visa (which was delayed due to the incident mentioned above). He has a couple of questions, and we'd really appreciate getting help. 

1- My friend wants to reopen the case as he think he could get the case dismissed, and wants to hire a lawyer. Is it possible to reopen the case after a year after pleading guilty? The reason as I mentioned was that he was leaving the country soon after, so he did not want to have the case open while he is not there. 

2- Is this incident going to affect the student in the future if decides to get a work visa, green card or even CPT/OPT? 

3- When my friend arrives in the US in December, is he likely going to have more questioning and checking at the airport than before he had this on his record? 

4- I hope to hear your opinion on this, is it really worth reopening the case for just public intoxication? 

Thanks and I appreciate the help

• 3 weeks later...

Archived