H1-B Visa Stamping at Matamoros, Mexico - (Attention to ones with a DUI history)

Harshahari

Hello !

I hope this post helps all my fellow H1-B visa holders who are looking for specific details around a prior DUI that you might have had in the past and want to find out your chances to get the Visa stamping at Matamoros.  

Both me and my husband hold individual H1Bs, my husband had a DUI record dated 2012 and the case was dismissed later in 2013. However, when we went for our interview,  after being asked the usual questions around employment and client location etc, the Visa officer asked him to wait for over an hour. The officer then gave him a 221(g) form and advised him to get a Medical exam with a panel physician. Th nearest and earliest available clinic suggested by the consulate was in Mexico city  (2hrs by flight from Matamoros / 13hrs by road).  Since we live in Houston, tx and we drove to Brownsville and entered Matamoros through land, all we had was a Mexico permit. We didn't have a Mexico Visa. IF you are planning to visit Matamoros for Visa stamping and have a DUI record (Dismissed or else), then make sure you have a mexico Visa which will let you fly in such scenarios. In my husband's case since we had only a permit ,  he could only take the by road option . The clinic sent the results directly to the consulate after 2 business days of the exam.  He received his passport 2hrs after the consulate received his results. 

If you have done a medical exam in the past (probably were asked to do when you were in India for a stamping) you MUST carry all and any documents that were given after the exam. If you have them with you, you can show that to your visa officer and that would suffice to the answer.

The biggest help we had during this entire episodes of events  was this one gentleman Salvador Casteneda. He was the person from whom we took the services for our accommodation and logistics. But then as things turned out differently than what we planned initially, Salvador was a great help/guardian and was helping my husband all through the logistics part of the extended trip. Salvador found a reliable friend of his ( who drove my husband to Mexico City and back to Matamoros within 30hrs ). The hotel where we stayed at Matamoros- Best western managed by Salvador  was decent ( you wouldn't find anything better in that small town) . The Internet speed was good too , i didn't have any connectivity problems while working out of the hotel . I would highly recommend his services after knowing how much he did above and beyond to help us .

The biggest challenge when you are at Matamoros and get into a situation like above would be the language barrier. 99% of the people at Matamoros Do NOT speak any other language than Spanish.  So if you know Spanish, nothing  better than that. 

This was how our itinerary turned into:

Sunday (Oct 2nd)- We reached Matamoros later in the evening

Monday - Finger Prints appointment

Tuesday - Visa Interview, I got my passport stamped same day

Wednesday - My husband had the medical exam done

Thursday - NOne

Friday - 2pm the results were sent to Consulate . 4pm he received the passport 

Saturday(OCt 8th 2016) - He got home 

Good Luck with your Visa Stamping !!! 

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2016 at 11:03 AM, pagladeewana said:

Thank you for posting . Most people dont post after getting things done .

In india it takes 30 days to get it stamped but it seems it is quicker in mexico

Hi,

When you say 30 days, do you mean 30 days for people with DUI history?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 10/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Harshahari said:

Hello !

I hope this post helps all my fellow H1-B visa holders who are looking for specific details around a prior DUI that you might have had in the past and want to find out your chances to get the Visa stamping at Matamoros.  

Both me and my husband hold individual H1Bs, my husband had a DUI record dated 2012 and the case was dismissed later in 2013. However, when we went for our interview,  after being asked the usual questions around employment and client location etc, the Visa officer asked him to wait for over an hour. The officer then gave him a 221(g) form and advised him to get a Medical exam with a panel physician. Th nearest and earliest available clinic suggested by the consulate was in Mexico city  (2hrs by flight from Matamoros / 13hrs by road).  Since we live in Houston, tx and we drove to Brownsville and entered Matamoros through land, all we had was a Mexico permit. We didn't have a Mexico Visa. IF you are planning to visit Matamoros for Visa stamping and have a DUI record (Dismissed or else), then make sure you have a mexico Visa which will let you fly in such scenarios. In my husband's case since we had only a permit ,  he could only take the by road option . The clinic sent the results directly to the consulate after 2 business days of the exam.  He received his passport 2hrs after the consulate received his results. 

If you have done a medical exam in the past (probably were asked to do when you were in India for a stamping) you MUST carry all and any documents that were given after the exam. If you have them with you, you can show that to your visa officer and that would suffice to the answer.

The biggest help we had during this entire episodes of events  was this one gentleman Salvador Casteneda. He was the person from whom we took the services for our accommodation and logistics. But then as things turned out differently than what we planned initially, Salvador was a great help/guardian and was helping my husband all through the logistics part of the extended trip. Salvador found a reliable friend of his ( who drove my husband to Mexico City and back to Matamoros within 30hrs ). The hotel where we stayed at Matamoros- Best western managed by Salvador  was decent ( you wouldn't find anything better in that small town) . The Internet speed was good too , i didn't have any connectivity problems while working out of the hotel . I would highly recommend his services after knowing how much he did above and beyond to help us .

The biggest challenge when you are at Matamoros and get into a situation like above would be the language barrier. 99% of the people at Matamoros Do NOT speak any other language than Spanish.  So if you know Spanish, nothing  better than that. 

This was how our itinerary turned into:

Sunday (Oct 2nd)- We reached Matamoros later in the evening

Monday - Finger Prints appointment

Tuesday - Visa Interview, I got my passport stamped same day

Wednesday - My husband had the medical exam done

Thursday - NOne

Friday - 2pm the results were sent to Consulate . 4pm he received the passport 

Saturday(OCt 8th 2016) - He got home 

Good Luck with your Visa Stamping !!! 

Hi Harshahari,

thank you for providing your experience, I'm also in same situation and planning to to Nogales, can you please give me some details?

* there was no appointments available in matamoros at that time or there was no panel physicians at all in matamoros?

thank you in advance

• 1 month later...

Hello Harshahari,

I had my fist dui during Aug 2014 and my case still in pending. But, i am planning to travel some time end of the year or during Jan next year. For the re-entry i need to attend for visa and i'm completely baffled to which country to attend visa. I appreciate if you could suggest me amongst India and Mexico. Since, i have dui in the past, would the visa process in my case takes longer than the usual ? I see that you have finished your process at Mexico in less than a week, but i'm afraid its not the same in India. So, which one would you suggest ?? 

Thanks  in advance for your time !! 

Archived