ACICS accreditation

JoeF

From news reports, the DoE on Sept. 22, 2016, has stripped ACICS of the ability to accredit universities:

"The Department of Education officially stripped the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools – the largest accrediting agency of for-profit colleges and universities – of its authority Thursday, handing down the final blow in a long controversy over the council's ability to be an effective watchdog for students and billions of taxpayer dollars.

"I am terminating the department's recognition of ACICS as a national recognized accrediting agency," Emma Vadehra, chief of staff to the education secretary, wrote in a letter to the organization."

" ACICS plans to appeal the decision, the company said in a statement. It will have 30 days to file the appeal, during which it would retain its federal status."

Apparently, the final push was that ACICS was the accreditor of ITT.

So, institutions accredited by ACICS are still officially accredited, but may not be for long anymore. People enrolled in such institutions should plan accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Subject: 

ACICS Loss of Accreditation: Impact on FY 2018 Cap Filing and Remedy

Please note, I completed Masters in CSC from NPU University ( it no longer recognizes the Accrediting Council) and currently I’m on OPT, planning to apply for H1B CAP 2018. Can you please advise if my H1B filing will fall under Master Quota or under Regular. 

Also could you please suggest some schools located in bay-area, to take up few credits and start on CPT. 

Thanks in Advance

Archived