Degree Equivalency for PERM vs. H1B

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding degree equivalency in the PERM and H1B processes.   

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

I have more than five years of IT experience. I did my Masters in the US. Currently i am on OPT. Is it wise enough to apply for a Green Card now or should i wait for my H1. Please suggest the pros and cons. Thanks in advance :) 

You can start the PERM process while in OPT. It is not until you get to the second stage of the process (I-140) that a potential intent conflict arises. To determine whether or not there will be a conflict depends on the details of your situation and your medium to long-term goals. Accordingly, it is advisable to speak with a U.S. immigrant attorney directly. 

Archived