steps from favorable recommendation to visa

sggr

Hello,

I just received a favorable recommendation from the DoS yesterday (according to the website, I haven't received the letter). I understand they send this to the USCIS for final decision.

My green card application is already at the embassy of my country. It was originally rejected because of the home-residency requirement but they told me that if I get a waiver they would give me an interview within a week and most likely grant the visa.

My main questions are what are the next steps and if there is any way to expedite the process, as I need to start the job in mid-August. If I wait for letters to be sent to my country, things can get delayed a couple of weeks, because the mail is slow, gets stuck in customs, etc. Can I get them to send the response to the Embassy electronically? How long does the USCIS take to make the decision, and is there any way to expedite this?

Finally: do you know if there are any reasons that the USCIS would not follow the recommendation? What kind of things do they look at? I had a Fulbright for a Masters and spent a lot of time in my country during the PhD, still with an extended J-1, and its now almost two years since the time I finished the PhD and moved back to my country. I got a no-objection statement and asked that, regarding Fulbright, they count the time I was doing fieldwork after the Fulbright or that they consider that it's virtually two years since I moved permanently, minus short trips for conferences and workshops to the US. Is this the thing only the DoS Waiver Review Division has to check or (Fulbright did not object) or does the USCIS also have to assess whether the time counts?

Thank you!

If your spouse is in the army, they will expedite the green card application progress for you.

Can you please tell me when did you file your case to the DOS? I am still waiting DOS to make the decision and it would be great if you can share your timeline! Thanks!

Thank you. My spouse is not in the army.

This is the timeline from the DoS site. However, my country's embassy sent the NOS on April 22 and it took about 2 weeks to show  as received by DoS.

Sponsor Views Received July 01, 2016 Recommendation Sent July 01, 2016 Request for Sponsor Views Sent June 21, 2016 No Objection Statement Received June 17, 2016 Fee Received June 08, 2016 Form DS-3035 Received June 08, 2016 Form DS-2019 Received June 08, 2016 Passport Data Page Received June 08, 2016 Statement Of Reason Received June 08, 2016 Other Received June 08, 2016
  • 6 months later...

Archived