When to add Spouse in my GC process if she is also in H1B visa

adam1

Me and my wife, both are in H1B visa. Both have 2 years left in our H1B and we work for different employers.

My employer has started the GC process for me and the PERM is in progress now. I am waiting for DOL to get back with prevailing wage determination.

Questions:

1. If I add my wife to my GC process as dependent, could she still continue working on her H1B visa ?

2. If she can continue working on her H1B during the GC process, how long can she work ?(can her H1B be extended after she completes 6 years in her H1B - as she is in my GC process) 

3. If she cannot continue working on her H1B once I add her in to my GC process, when is the best time to add her in my GC process.

H1 and GC are independent, so of course your spouse can continue working on H1 even if she is a dependent on your GC.

She can NOT, however, extend her H1 past the 6 years. That is only possible for the primary applicant.

Not knowing your country of birth/ EB category for PD movement it seems unlikely that your wife can file AOS in the next  2 yrs along with your application. She needs to have her own GC process started ASAP or use the newly created H4 EAD rule to continue working after 6 years assuming you get your I-140 approved.

Archived