COS Denied from F1-H1B,

vishal2286

I don't know aboout any bush or obama. There is no restriction on the time limit for CPT. As long as some body wants to work they can. If you can prove me wrong then show me the 'Concerned Law' limiting the CPT limit>>>

CPT is a course work, you did work in CPT for 2 yrs. When your master's program itself is for 2 yrs, how can a single course work takes 2 yrs to complete??

Yes there is no time limit for CPT, but in real world there is not a SINGLE course that requires CPT for 2 yrs. Now its VERY VERY clear, you have abused CPT. BTW did everyone in your class took CPT for TWO years??

And let me guess, your CPT employer and H1 employer are one and same in other words your CPT and H1 job are some what related.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know aboout any bush or obama. There is no restriction on the time limit for CPT. As long as some body wants to work they can.>

WRONG! CPT is ONLY for work as integral part of the curriculum. 8 CFR 214.2.(f). Look it up. It is certasinly not "as long as somebody wants to work." It is NOT an unlimited work permit. You have been abusing CPT.

And put your money where your mouth is. Or are you afraid that a lawyer would confirm what we are saying???

WRONG! CPT is ONLY for work as integral part of the curriculum. 8 CFR 214.2.(f). Look it up. It is certasinly not "as long as somebody wants to work." It is NOT an unlimited work permit. You have been abusing CPT.

And put your money where your mouth is. Or are you afraid that a lawyer would confirm what we are saying???

You duffer.... My college has given me a letter stating that CPT is an Integral Part of my curriculum. I know that already. You don't need to tell me that. We argued about the 2 year time period as you posted in your last comment. Now you took a UUU turn and talking about the Integral Part. I know better than you do.... Smile....

You duffer.... My college has given me a letter stating that CPT is an Integral Part of my curriculum. I know that already. You don't need to tell me that. We argued about the 2 year time period as you posted in your last comment. Now you took a UUU turn and talking about the Integral Part. I know better than you do.... Smile....

It looks like your attitude made you to take such a big risk.

You still didn't answer the question, if your master's program itself was for 2 yrs how can a single course requires two years of CPT work??

BTW there are many posts about your university, it looks like your university will be the next target for ICE. Simple google search about your university can tell that.

Giving out some latter doesn't mean that it is true.

TVU also claimed that the CPT they gave out, for work at a 7-Eleven, as security guards, etc. was legal.

Oh, and you are confusing me with somebody else. I didn't talk about two years, I talk about you abusing CPT from the start.

NO real university gives out CPT to somebody just signing up, and NO real university gives out CPT for a couple of years.

That institution you went to is a known fraud institution. Several of their "students" have been killed in robberies while working in convenience stores with CPT.

Not getting into any of OP's discussion,  the institute OP went to (Sullivan)  is a  well known University in mid-west.  I have lived (and worked)  in Louisville for a few years and Sullivan was a pretty established name there .  It has been there since early 60s if I know correct.   Don't know if anything  has changed since then .   I also do not see  any report that their students were killed while working in convenience stores with CPT.

Not getting into any of OP's discussion,  the institute OP went to (Sullivan)  is a  well known University in mid-west.  I have lived (and worked)  in Louisville for a few years and Sullivan was a pretty established name there .  It has been there since early 60s if I know correct.   Don't know if anything  has changed since then .   I also do not see  any report that their students were killed while working in convenience stores with CPT.

Hmm, ok, I thought of another university.

But Sullivan is also shady, based on the Wikipedia article about them.

"In August 2011, a Special Prosecutor was appointed to investigate potential violations of state campaign-finance laws when a former employee alleged that the Sullivan University System Chancellor and other executives asked more than 100 employees to pledge to vote for and donate to Todd P'Pool, a then-candidate for Kentucky Attorney General. P'Pool was running against incumbent Jack Conway, who had been investigating the Sullivan University System in several matters since earlier that same year."

"In 2011, the Sullivan University System was ordered to pay more than $480,000 to approximately then-current and previous employees for a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act."

"In January 2013, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway filed a consumer-protection lawsuit against Spencerian College, an institution within the Sullivan University System, for alleged misrepresentation of job placement data. The suit alleges that the Sullivan University System knowingly and intentionally provided false job placement data to lure students "into student loan arrangements and to join their for-profit institution.""

Not getting into any of OP's discussion,  the institute OP went to (Sullivan)  is a  well known University in mid-west.  I have lived (and worked)  in Louisville for a few years and Sullivan was a pretty established name there .  It has been there since early 60s if I know correct.   Don't know if anything  has changed since then .   I also do not see  any report that their students were killed while working in convenience stores with CPTChakrakr

Chakrakr, these two guys 'JoeF' and 'rahul412' are on most of the forums. Always talking negative about things. There attitude is such that even if they are talking things right, people think they are talking absurd and rubbish. There are a lot of people who were working at some store and got killed during a robbery. This is a very common issue in USA. "JoeF" is just trying to make things look scared without any reason. He is of no help but just seems to be have some complex or regrets in his past... Smiley :)>>> BTW where is the need to work in a gas station or work as a security guard with a CPT???? Gas station work is under the table in most of the cases and no body uses CPT or OPT for a gas station or security job while as a F1 student.....

Chakrakr, these two guys 'JoeF' and 'rahul412' are on most of the forums.

Now that you have dragged chakrakr in this conversation, I am asking the same question to both of you. What course is that requires 2 yrs of CPT when your master's program itself is 2 yrs??

Chakrakr, don't you think that his guy has abused CPT??

Chakrakr, these two guys 'JoeF' and 'rahul412' are on most of the forums. Always talking negative about things. There attitude is such that even if they are talking things right, people think they are talking absurd and rubbish. There are a lot of people who were working at some store and got killed during a robbery. This is a very common issue in USA. "JoeF" is just trying to make things look scared without any reason. He is of no help but just seems to be have some complex or regrets in his past... Smiley :)>>> BTW where is the need to work in a gas station or work as a security guard with a CPT???? Gas station work is under the table in most of the cases and no body uses CPT or OPT for a gas station or security job while as a F1 student.....

Have you scheduled a consultation with a lawyer?

If you think we are wrong, prove it. Put your money where your mouth is.

Until then, you are wrong and we are right.

Now that you have dragged chakrakr in this conversation, I am asking the same question to both of you. What course is that requires 2 yrs of CPT when your master's program itself is 2 yrs??

Chakrakr, don't you think that his guy has abused CPT??

Without knowing all details, I cannot comment.  It definitely looks odd working in CPT for 2 years.   However,  I have seen students working on Full time CPT in our company (NOT consulting)  for one full semester.   They  were from a very prestigious institute of Boston (Nxxx  Easxxx) . 

My comment was more regarding your and JoeF's views on OP's University.   Not sure why you think it is next target for ICE.   It has been there for half a century now.  Yes,  JoeF  pointed some financial irregularities but that never calls for ICE investigation. 

Hmm, ok, I thought of another university.

But Sullivan is also shady, based on the Wikipedia article about them.

"In August 2011, a Special Prosecutor was appointed to investigate potential violations of state campaign-finance laws when a former employee alleged that the Sullivan University System Chancellor and other executives asked more than 100 employees to pledge to vote for and donate to Todd P'Pool, a then-candidate for Kentucky Attorney General. P'Pool was running against incumbent Jack Conway, who had been investigating the Sullivan University System in several matters since earlier that same year."

"In 2011, the Sullivan University System was ordered to pay more than $480,000 to approximately then-current and previous employees for a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act."

"In January 2013, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway filed a consumer-protection lawsuit against Spencerian College, an institution within the Sullivan University System, for alleged misrepresentation of job placement data. The suit alleges that the Sullivan University System knowingly and intentionally provided false job placement data to lure students "into student loan arrangements and to join their for-profit institution.""

If lawsuits and violation of Fair Labor Act makes a  University "shady" ,  half of corporate world is shady .    The big box retailer -- Wxxxxx  had to pay $4.8 MM  for back wages

Without knowing all details, I cannot comment.  It definitely looks odd working in CPT for 2 years.   However,  I have seen students working on Full time CPT in our company (NOT consulting)  for one full semester.   They  were from a very prestigious institute of Boston (Nxxx  Easxxx) . 

My comment was more regarding your and JoeF's views on OP's University.   Not sure why you think it is next target for ICE.   It has been there for half a century now.  Yes,  JoeF  pointed some financial irregularities but that never calls for ICE investigation. 

Legitimate CPT is very rare. It has to be an integral part of the curriculum.

Hence working for a consulting company with CPT is never legitimate, since working on some arbitrary project can by definition not be an integral part of any curriculum.

If the university issued CPT for work in a consulting company, then the institution IS shady.

Obviously, i am not privy to ICE internals, but CPT is nowadays a big red flag, so it would not surprise me if this institution is investigated. As the court documents in the TVU and HGU cases show, ICE does undercover investigations...

And, here is another data point, showing that my statement that abuse of CPT such as from the OP will result in trouble is correct:

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/83518-h1b-section-221g-f1valid-status-or-illegal-ban-for-3-yrs/

I have warned about abuse of CPT at least since I came across posts from the TVU owner in 2010. I got lots of hate posts then, but I was right then and I am right now about these things.

The OP clearly abused CPT.

See the CPT is only used when there are not a lot of options available. This is the last option. No body recommends doing that. There are people in different situations getting CPT. If this is obtained from the beginning then I would say not to do that. As USCIS will dent the COS but approves H1B petition. And the Candidate has to leave the country or file a motion. USCIS only denies the change of status after they have sent an RFE asking to the college some Studies related questions and most importantly whether CPT was an Integral Part of curriculum. If the college writes down the letter that the CPT is an INtegral part of student's srudies at the particular school then USCIS may approve the Change of Status along with H1B. If the school denies to write down the 'CPT INTEGRAL PART' sentence then the COS will be denied.  I am pasting screen shot of the standard quetry that the USCIS sends to all the people. There may be a slight bit of change but over all the questions are almost exact same.

See the CPT is only used when there are not a lot of options available. This is the last option..

No, that's not how CPT works.

CPT is for work as integral part of the curriculum only. That means everybody doing the class has to do an internship. There is no choice. There is no option. Either work, e.g., an internship, is required for all people who take that class, which means for people on F1 using CPT, or CPT is not allowed.

CPT is not OPT. The O in OPT stands for "optional", the C in CPT does NOT stand for "optional."

Using "optional" CPT is abuse of CPT.

See the CPT is only used when there are not a lot of options available. This is the last option. No body recommends doing that. There are people in different situations getting CPT. If this is obtained from the beginning then I would say not to do that. As USCIS will dent the COS but approves H1B petition. And the Candidate has to leave the country or file a motion. USCIS only denies the change of status after they have sent an RFE asking to the college some Studies related questions and most importantly whether CPT was an Integral Part of curriculum. If the college writes down the letter that the CPT is an INtegral part of student's srudies at the particular school then USCIS may approve the Change of Status along with H1B. If the school denies to write down the 'CPT INTEGRAL PART' sentence then the COS will be denied.  I am pasting screen shot of the standard quetry that the USCIS sends to all the people. There may be a slight bit of change but over all the questions are almost exact same.

So now you took a UUUUUUU turn....

What do you mean by CPT is the last option?? CPT is NEVER an option. CPT is part of your F1, so it's mandatory if a course needs practical traning.

Simply getting a letter will not work, what matter's is the work you did in CPT. Most of the sham schools give away letters to the students just to attract more students, that's what TVU did.

Coming to your case, its clear that you have abused CPT bcos your COS was rejected. Of course you have got your visa, but its clear that you have abused CPT.

• 1 month later...

Hi Zoofi,

I am also in a similar situation. I was elated when my status changed to "Approved" a few days ago but, my HR informed me today that my COS has been denied. Now I guess the only plausible option is to go back to Mumbai for stamping and face the dreaded interview. 

I don't have any violations on my record, have always been in lawful status, etc. They are now saying that myCPT Employer Agreement was not signed by my school's DSO due to which, they might never have approved the employer-employee relationship. This is a totally flawed argument since the school itself issues a CPT I-20 with the employer's details on the third page of the document. So, the possibility of them not knowing about my employer does not exist to say the least.

I am shitting bricks thinking about going back to Mumbai for the interview. Although I have never accrued unlawful presence here, I fear they might cite that as a reason for denial. 

Is it possible for you to share a list of all possible documents that I should carry along with me to the interview? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

And guys, I know what we have done is unethical. So, please do not reply to my question by telling me that I have abused certain laws or try to make me feel like a criminal. I know exactly what I have done and I knew the consequences before I did it. You need to understand that these are life decisions and no one takes them in the blink of an eye. You don't know what some of us are going through so please DO NOT try to school me on what's right or wrong. I can decide that for myself. 

Any positive direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

And guys, I know what we have done is unethical.

So, why did you do it, then???

Are you always doing unethical things, and then acting surprised if it comes back to bite you???

Did you think the authorities in the US are so st*pid they wouldn't know or care?

No "life decision" justifies this.

You need to stop the cheap excuses. And you obviously can not decide on what's right and what's wrong.

Hi Zoofi,

I am also in a similar situation. I was elated when my status changed to "Approved" a few days ago but, my HR informed me today that my COS has been denied. Now I guess the only plausible option is to go back to Mumbai for stamping and face the dreaded interview. 

I don't have any violations on my record, have always been in lawful status, etc. They are now saying that myCPT Employer Agreement was not signed by my school's DSO due to which, they might never have approved the employer-employee relationship. This is a totally flawed argument since the school itself issues a CPT I-20 with the employer's details on the third page of the document. So, the possibility of them not knowing about my employer does not exist to say the least.

I am shitting bricks thinking about going back to Mumbai for the interview. Although I have never accrued unlawful presence here, I fear they might cite that as a reason for denial. 

Is it possible for you to share a list of all possible documents that I should carry along with me to the interview? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

And guys, I know what we have done is unethical. So, please do not reply to my question by telling me that I have abused certain laws or try to make me feel like a criminal. I know exactly what I have done and I knew the consequences before I did it. You need to understand that these are life decisions and no one takes them in the blink of an eye. You don't know what some of us are going through so please DO NOT try to school me on what's right or wrong. I can decide that for myself. 

Any positive direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

First check with an independant attorney whether your CPT was a legit one. That will give you an idea what to expect from VO during yoour visa interview.

Hi Jairichi,

I am sure that my CPT was legit. I went to an accredited school and attended all classes with a 3.9 GPA. The reason that they have cited in the denial letter makes no sense at all. Which has me more concerned. Coz how do you justify something that cannot be justified at all.

JoeF: Thanks for all your concern about my future. I would really appreciate it if you do not reply to any of my posts from here on. I have followed these forums for a long time and have noticed that you never have any thing constructive to say. You are always condescending people and telling them what they should or shouldn't have done. We come here to seek advice on what can be done in the future, not what we should have done in the past. Please refrain from talking directly to me in the future. Thanks for all your help, up to this point.

@jairichi: My attorney even said that they are asking for the school's DSO's signature on the Employer Cooperation Agreement but, there is no such field for the DSO's signature on the form to begin with

If you have already talked to an attorney and if indeed your CPT is legit then there is nothing for you to worry when you go for H1B stamping. On the safer side I would suggest you get opinion from an attorney from Murthy law firm. Good luck with your visa stamping.

Archived