H1b to L2 question

nojob

Hi there -

I am currently on H1b and my husband's company is going to file my L2 (I-539). My question is when can I quit so that I would not be out of status. Should I wait till I get the receipt after filing I-539 or till I get approval notice of I-539. This is very important for me to know because I am currently a high risk pregnancy patient and i would like to quit job asap. Any advice or experiences.

Thank you for your time.

Hi there -

I am currently on H1b and my husband's company is going to file my L2 (I-539). My question is when can I quit so that I would not be out of status. Should I wait till I get the receipt after filing I-539 or till I get approval notice of I-539. This is very important for me to know because I am currently a high risk pregnancy patient and i would like to quit job asap. Any advice or experiences.

Thank you for your time.

Once you get receipt notice.

thank you for both replies. But my husband's company's attorney told us that I would have to maintinan H1b status until my L2 application gets approved. So I will have to work till the approval.  I am writing this so that others like me might have to right information.

thank you for both replies. But my husband's company's attorney told us that I would have to maintinan H1b status until my L2 application gets approved. So I will have to work till the approval.  I am writing this so that others like me might have to right information.

When your husband's L1 petition and your L2 petition is filed you can stop working based on receipt notice. But, it is wise to wait for approval just in case your husband's L1 petition gets denied. I believe that is the reason why your husband employer's attorney is suggesting you not to quit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies.

My husband's company filed his L1A amendment and my COS, I-539 together under premium processing last Friday and we are waiting for the receipt number. My issue now is that, as soon as my L2 gets approved, I should stop working as it will be illegal for me to work on L2 with out EAD. As there is not confirmed time line on how much time ti would take for the approval, i am in a dilemma as to when I should let my employer know that I am quitting. I would like to be in good terms with my employer before I quit and do not want to drop the news that i will quit the next day,.

We are just looking for advice from other people like us who are on visas to suggest how we should proceed on dealing with my employer. any suggestions or ideas, welcome.

thank you for your time and responses.

Thank you for the replies.

My husband's company filed his L1A amendment and my COS, I-539 together under premium processing last Friday and we are waiting for the receipt number. My issue now is that, as soon as my L2 gets approved, I should stop working as it will be illegal for me to work on L2 with out EAD. As there is not confirmed time line on how much time ti would take for the approval, i am in a dilemma as to when I should let my employer know that I am quitting. I would like to be in good terms with my employer before I quit and do not want to drop the news that i will quit the next day,.

We are just looking for advice from other people like us who are on visas to suggest how we should proceed on dealing with my employer. any suggestions or ideas, welcome.

thank you for your time and responses.

If everything goes good then a decision would be made by USCIS within 15 calendar days.

Archived