Would getting laid off from the petitioning employer 4 months after receiving my Green Card cause any issues with N-400?

PeteM

I have been on an employment based Green Card for 5 years and 1 month and just filed my N-400. I'm a bit worried because when I received my Green Card in early November 2008 I was laid off by the petitioning employer 4 months later in late March 2009.  I was an IT Consultant and the client at the time chose to continue the project with another vendor (not due to mine or my employer's fault). My employer could not find me another project and laid me off. I could not find another job in 2009 due to the recessionary market and filed for unemployment benefits that I was entitled to. Eventually I found a job in the same field around February 2010 and have been in the same position since then.

Would losing my job so soon after receiving the Green Card and not having a job for almost a year after that pose any issues with the N-400 Citizenship application and/or interview? Would the validity of the Green Card come into question since a Green Card is a petition for future employment? I was only there for 4 months after that and then no job for almost a year.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Pontevecciio our case is similar please help.

This question is for my ex husband that just filed citizenship, sent package last sunday.

He worked for sponsor since 2002. Comes September 2006 sponsor had fewer projects and one of his clients offered my ex a position. Sponsor was ok with it but warned him to join client on a temp. basis only or GC process will be terminated.

Ex husband joined client only for 9 months to finish project. Once project was done he rejoined sponsor (around that time we both filed i-485 as i-140 was already approved). He stayed with sponsor from filing of i-485 until green card and then got laid off 4 months after GC. His aos lasted less than 180 days.

He then went to join clients directly working in the same field. He has had GC for 6.5 years. He always had same title and similar tasks. To be honest, that is all he was trained so far to do as far as work is concerned.

Sponsor is now out of business. We dont know if that is any problem. He couldnt afford another attorney (he wanted 1000 to fill forms) so he went to non-profit association. They only charged him 100 to fill and he placed the package in the mail today.

Other than that no arrests, no children, no second marriages for neither of us. Thanks in advance for all your help. I will be in touch with him to share his experience, he has since moved and his new office is Baltimore, MD.

Also how many taxes we need? He has transcripts for w2 and taxes since gc. I think is better to take them all.

Once they call him for an Interview they will send a list of things to bring. It is an extremely small list and he should take only documents requested with him. The job angle will not even come up. They will ask him to state that the forms filled were filled truthfully and ask him 10 questions and he will get a oath letter later on. Usually and normally it is a formality.

• 5 months later...

Archived