Change to Married Name on Green Card

Hello,

I got my Green card 10 days back. My green card has my maiden name on it. I entered USA on my maiden name and maintained the same name until now so there would not be any delays in the Green process.

But now I wish to change my name to my married name on the Green card. And I want to get this done while in the USA. Could you please tell me what is the process ?

My understanding of order:
1. Change for name change on passport at Indian embassy in my state. - What doc's I would need to send and how long would it take ?

2. File I-90 to change on the Green Card. - What supporting documents do I need to send in ? How long does it take to get the new card ? Fees ?

3. After I get the new Green Card then apply for SSN and Drivers License. - What documents are needed ?

4. Would changing name affect or delay the naturalization process ?

5. Once the name is changed on the passport and my I-90 is pending, what name do I start using legally ?

Other thing:
My SSN and Drivers License have restrictions on them. Should I get this changed after I get my new Green Card with new name ? Or should I change these now with my current Green Card and get them changed again to the new name once i get my new green card with name changed ?

Please suggest and advice and share your experience.

Thanks.

Exact same situation like yours. Got GC 2 yrs back...didnt wanted to change my wife's last name that time due to obvious reasons - Do not want get involved with USCIS during my GC process. :) Scared even now...so contemplating on whether to change it now or during Naturalization...hrd its easy that time.

Anways, my plan was to change the Last name in the Indian Passport first. Obvisouly you'll have to show your Marriage Certificate. Not sure which other docs would you need, but I'm planning to check it out at the Indian Embassy site.

I-90 form has the list of documents which you'll need to send...If I recollect it right, its your Indian passport and your Marriage Certificate.

For SSN and DL you can find out the list of Docs you'll need on their Site..SSN is simple -  just take your GC, your old SSN and fill out the form.

It wouldnt affect or delay your Naturalization process.

Let the GC name change take place...then use your new name.

Also some other places where you'll might need to change your name is - Bank/Credit Card documents, Utility bills (Phone, Electric, etc), Medical and Vehicle Insurance docs...etc.

its a big headache though..but simple process unlike our home country.

Good luck...let us know what steps you took.

To Pontevecchio - Thanks for your response. Can you please clarify below

Think twice and hard before you want to change the name. – Other than costs and USCIS processing times, is there other pressing reasons why I need to think about name change ?

You can always change at naturalization -  Are you referring to Part D in the N-400 form ? So if I said yes and submit my marriage certificate, then I am good to go ? Would it be that easy ?

To Omshiv

Thank you for your detailed response. The order you've provided sounds right to me. I am not able to understand why you would still think to get the name changed. Any pressing reasons or issues it could cause ?

Thanks

To Omshiv

Thank you for your detailed response. The order you've provided sounds right to me. I am not able to understand why you would still think to get the name changed. Any pressing reasons or issues it could cause ?

Thanks

Reason is I've quite suffered from the hands of USCIS during my GC process. :)

I don't want to wake up the sleeping giant(now since I have my GC)

I'll change it during our Naturalization time. People have been telling me it's simple then.

In these enlightened times name changes are not necessary. First change your Passport name for which you will have to look at the embassy site. The change may be easier if you have your marriage certificate mentioning your maiden and post Marriage names. Then go and ask in the SSA Office how to change your name on the card. Then go to the DL center and ask them how to change the name on the card. Also apply for a new GC through I-90 with the fees and wait for 6 months for the card.

To Omshiv,

Thanks for your response. I can understand the pain :)

I went through all the cost that I would incur if I changed my name now. It would cost upto $750.

I went through the N-400 application form for Naturalization and there in Part D they ask if we want to change our name. I am guessing if I said yes and give my married name and submit my marriage certificate then I should be all set.

So I get my Naturalization card in my married name. I then apply for US passport with my new name as on the card and with the US passport I then apply for DL and SSN and change names elsewhere applicable. Seems pretty straight forward and easy and costs nothing if I went this route.

Is my understanding right ?

Thanks

Archived