Leaving U.S. when I539-EOS is pending

sudbon2784

Hi All,

My mother is on B2 visa. Her I-94 expired on June 26th and I applied for B2 extension on the first week of June. I requested for extension until Sept 15th. But she is leaving on Aug 30th. The case is still pending. In case if I do not hear the decision by Aug 30,  does she need to submit a copy of I539 receipt along with her expired I-94 card?

Once she reaches India, do I need to send any copies to immigration office here in US confirming her departure (like boarding pass, immigration stamp from India in her passport etc.)?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom left US on Aug 30th and she submitted her I-94 (with expiry data June 26) to airline authorities. The case status for her I539 -EOS application in the USCIS website still says "Initial Review".

I would like to know if I need to submit any documents to USCIS at this time? Do I need to cancel pending I-539? 

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

All,

I found out today that a notice of RFE for my I-539 EOS is being sent my way. I applied before my I-94 expires but since I’m too close now to the expiration date of the I-94, I decided to go out of the U.S and back in like I had done in previous years when renewing my I-94.

My questions are: When I depart the US will this count as a withdrawal of my case, or do I have to formally withdraw it by sending the letter to USCIS? Will it count as a withdrawal or a denial because I abandoned the application? Understanding which term applies to my case is truly important since I’m concerned about ny re-entry into the U.S. 

I decided to leave and come back in before the I-94 expires because I wanted to be in compliance and not overstay. And I didn’t know the I-539 could take so long 6-9 months is what I found out after I had applied. 

I would greatly appreciate if I can receive an answer before I leave next Friday December 1st 2017.

Thank you very much!

Archived