Doctor: Extend H1b beyond 6th year!

konquistador

Hi, I will be finishing up my fellowship in Hematology/Oncology (On visa status H1B) in June 2014. I am currently in my 5th year of my H1B Visa.(Started my H1 in June 2008 and ending in June 2014)

I am in process of finding a job in a hospital who are willing to sponsor my Green Card, but many employers are not willing to extend any job offers that far down the lane.

So looks like my only option is to find an attorney and talk to him about NIW for EB2 ? Just wanted to confirm if there are any other options.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Also, below is the list of lawyers i have short-listed as experts in MD Immigration. I plan to contact them regarding fees structure/recent approval rate etc.

a) Murthy,

b) **********

c) *********

and

d) **************

Any other recommendations for lawyers?(I hope i am not breaking any forum rules, moderators please advise)

Thanks,

Kon

So, why do you think your work would be in the national interest of the US. That's what NIW means, after all, a national interest waiver.

In a Physician NIW, you work 5 years for an underserved area, and this is considered as "in the national interest". This is the one case were Congress has specifically defined what is in the "national interest". See INA 203(b)(2)(B)(ii). I believe this is what the OP was tlaking about.

Going back to the original question, most lerger hospitals are willing to extend an offer one year in advance. The OP's case resembles mine, I had one year left on my H1B six-year limit when I applied and was able to apply for PERM well ahead of my 6th year expiry. An important thing is to recapture all time spent outside the US.

In a Physician NIW, you work 5 years for an underserved area, and this is considered as "in the national interest". This is the one case were Congress has specifically defined what is in the "national interest". See INA 203(b)(2)(B)(ii). I believe this is what the OP was tlaking about.

Ahh, forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Archived