Birth Certificate Help Needed.

snram

Hi,

I am applying for Birth Certificate in India..for my I-485 filing and my father's name is currently present as below in my

certificates.

Can you please help in letting me know which one out of the below names do I need to use as my fathers name to be put in the birth certificate.

Father's Name in 10th Certificate: No Name

Father's Name in 12th Certificate: L SAMBA RAMA RAO

Father's Name in Engineering/B.Tech Certificate: SAMBA RAMA RAO

Father's Name in my Passport: LANTI SAMBARAM RAO

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading this!

What is his legal name? That should go on the birth certificate.

But I do not know if a birth certificate issued now is going to be sufficient for 485 filings. You might go through 485 instructions for this purpose or discuss with attorney.

Birth certificate along with affidavit of birth would be required.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am applying for Birth Certificate in India..for my I-485 filing and my father's name is currently present as below in my

certificates.

Can you please help in letting me know which one out of the below names do I need to use as my fathers name to be put in the birth certificate.

Father's Name in 10th Certificate: No Name

Father's Name in 12th Certificate: L SAMBA RAMA RAO

Father's Name in Engineering/B.Tech Certificate: SAMBA RAMA RAO

Father's Name in my Passport: LANTI SAMBARAM RAO

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading this!

I disagree with what others have posted regarding the validity of a BC issued recently. As per India Law BC was NOT mandatory for someone born before 1978/1977 (off the top of my head i don't remember exactly which of the two years it is) and DHS is aware of it. I remember seeing this being mentioned in one of the USCIS/DHS links along with other country dates. So DHS is aware of it. You can argue in the court of law as long as it is a valid document.

You should use the one that is in Passport. Passport is the document recognized by US authorities. The birth certificate needs to be from the municipal corporation in the city you were born in. Birth certificate from hospitals or religious bodies are not accepted.

Only when you don't have the birth certificate at the Municipal corporation, then you need three documents:

1. Certificate from Municipal corporation that there is no birth record for you present.

2. Affidavit from father

3. Affidavit from mother

Samples of affidavit from father/mother are available on the internet.

I am form south india, and my documents have 3-4 different permutations of my and my parents names. None of those matter other than the passport.

The names in the I-485 application & passports should match. You should obtain a birth certificate.

My birth certificate was obtained (in Madras) when I was 25 y.o. - it only has the first names on myself and my parents. I enclosed 2 affidavits from my parents on a format provided by my lawyer. My 485 was processed without any RFEs. Good luck.

Archived