Green card with Fnu

scp1

Hello,

Let me give a background. I am on L2 and do not have last name in my passport.

Because of this my visa came with Fnu as given name and my first name was made my last name. I should have corrected it then and there and but could not.

Now all my documents including my I-94, SSN, Drivers licence and Employment authorization are Fnu XXX.

My taxes are filed in this name only and pay stubs also have me as Fnu XXX. So basically my legal name in US has become XXX.

Initially it pinched a lot and I wanted to change it but changing it is a long process. Getting my husband's name on the passport using the marriage certificate is easy but to change my I-94 I had to get a new visa and enter in the US again. So I decided to let it go.

Now we are filing our Green Cards and I am not sure what to do. We have already delayed the GC filing process and do not want to to delay it any further.

What options do I have specifically

- Can I get my GC in Fnu XXX. I do not mind having Fnu long as I have GC, is there a possibility that I will not get GC because of FNU in my name?

- Is it better to file the GC on the basis of my marriage certificate using my actual first name as first name and my husband's last name? I read in another post that a user SJC011 did that for his wife. My question if I do that my name on SSN would be Fnu XXX and on GC will XXX YYY.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The green card is based on the name stated on the birth certificate. If you changed names after that, you would have to show that, too. It has little relationship to your visa or even passport name. One thing, however, is that you will have to prove that you are the person stated in that birth certificate, but I guess even then you have to use your birth certificate name. Talk to an experienced lawyer on how you want your name to be, and how you can get it done.

Archived