Visa (H1b Extension Approved at Hyderabad Consulate)--Few observations and tips for people

Godblessall123

Hi..

When I visited this forum for the first time couple of months back while in US and already planned for an India trip and extension stamping ..I was Sh** scared to read all the negative stories and experience of 221g etc. However I went to my interview on 1st week of Aug in Hyd and was asked only 3 questions after which VO approved my Visa...

I wore a full business attire--suit and tie....

Question--Are you applying for the H1B from the same company---

Answer: Yes

Question: What is your qualification

Answer: MBA and Engineering

Question: Whom will you work with

Answer: Major Bank

I have the following observation while waiting outside the consulate before my interview also inside the consulate waiting for my interview slot...

1. Majority of folks applying for Visa does not have a clue about proper attire and business professional dressing..!! most of them are wearing the plain old shirts... something that does not separate you from the rest.. some of them are even wearing Tee-shirts and Jeans with ruffled hair (dyed brown and all)..!! this is not a fancy dress party .. and if you are planning for a job related visa make yourself look like worthy of a job...wear a suite or tie or a classy business shirt--it may cost you a little more but believe me it pays to dress like a true professional...

2. Advice for girls specially from south.. kindly do not overdo on your jewellery parts.. you will have enough opportunity to display your family wealth else where but no to a Visa officer.. you just make yourself look so regional that VO will not identify yourself to be gelling with a foreign culture if you are bent on holding to your loved customs so much.. I am all for respecting tradition and culture but if you wear a business suit or skirt instead of a regular salwar .. your world is not coming to an end....

3. When you appear for your interview do not look like getting the visa is a matter of life and death for you... You are applying for the Visa because you deserve it and not like you are begging it. Respond with a command and authority. Be upright and confident in what you are saying.. (off-course if you are goofing around then you deservedly don't deserve a VISA--a folk in front of me did not bring his GRE score card for an F1 visa !!)...

lastly this forum has majority of posting on negative issues where Visa has been rejected.... for every visa getting rejected there are many which are getting approved as well.. cheer up and be confident....!!

Totally agree with your post. There are both good and bad experience while getting a visa.

You are so true about dressing even if someone don't want to wear a suite or tie or a classy business shirt then atleaset one should wear wased / ironed trousers with nice shirt and polished shoes. Atleast NO t-shirt and jeans lol...

and about girl's well how can you even think that a girl from south will not load herself with jewellery before steping out of the house :D

In last Congrats and it is wonderful to see first hand positive experience!!!

I think you are over blowing the business attire thing there. Relax!!!

I myself went with your favorite business attire. Probably as confident as anyone could be as I never had any visa rejected and probably have 40 of them including 6 of them from US but my case was pre-decided and I am convinced. Two questions for me:

Who are you working with and Are you working with the same employer. I am working with same employer for 7 years direct full time hire. Both those answers are already there in DS-160 but was a formality for him to ask something, then comes additional processing. 3 week wait and approved finally.

So just because you got a visa doesn't mean you should jump up and down preaching others. I think you have some valid suggestions but there is a better way to deliver it. Good that you are giving some positive energy overall but you could do better without the silly comments about south Indian girls. The VO is not looking at your tie although its a mere common sense that you should dress well at this level.

Hearty Congratulatons!!

@Godblessall123

Nice Post. Good observation. Thanks

Originally posted by Godblessall123:

Hi..

When I visited this forum for the first time couple of months back while in US and already planned for an India trip and extension stamping ..I was Sh** scared to read all the negative stories and experience of 221g etc. However I went to my interview on 1st week of Aug in Hyd and was asked only 3 questions after which VO approved my Visa...

I wore a full business attire--suit and tie....

Question--Are you applying for the H1B from the same company---

Answer: Yes

Question: What is your qualification

Answer: MBA and Engineering

Question: Whom will you work with

Answer: Major Bank

I have the following observation while waiting outside the consulate before my interview also inside the consulate waiting for my interview slot...

1. Majority of folks applying for Visa does not have a clue about proper attire and business professional dressing..!! most of them are wearing the plain old shirts... something that does not separate you from the rest.. some of them are even wearing Tee-shirts and Jeans with ruffled hair (dyed brown and all)..!! this is not a fancy dress party .. and if you are planning for a job related visa make yourself look like worthy of a job...wear a suite or tie or a classy business shirt--it may cost you a little more but believe me it pays to dress like a true professional...

2. Advice for girls specially from south.. kindly do not overdo on your jewellery parts.. you will have enough opportunity to display your family wealth else where but no to a Visa officer.. you just make yourself look so regional that VO will not identify yourself to be gelling with a foreign culture if you are bent on holding to your loved customs so much.. I am all for respecting tradition and culture but if you wear a business suit or skirt instead of a regular salwar .. your world is not coming to an end....

3. When you appear for your interview do not look like getting the visa is a matter of life and death for you... You are applying for the Visa because you deserve it and not like you are begging it. Respond with a command and authority. Be upright and confident in what you are saying.. (off-course if you are goofing around then you deservedly don't deserve a VISA--a folk in front of me did not bring his GRE score card for an F1 visa !!)...

lastly this forum has majority of posting on negative issues where Visa has been rejected.... for every visa getting rejected there are many which are getting approved as well.. cheer up and be confident....!!

@Godblessall

Thank you so much for posting a positive response. Not every one who gets his/her visa approved will post in this forum. Mostly guys who have issues will post and we see lot of negative stuff. Its understandable.

I agree with your sentence " S**t scared " , I am in the same state till i saw your message. All the docuemnts are perfect . So I am not even worried about it any more.

You just lifted my spirits. I really appreciate it and good luck buddy.

I will follow the important things you mentioned in this post for my visa stamping in December.

I just dont want to go to Mexico or Canada. rather I am secured with a piece of mind in India even if something goes wrong with my Visa.

Originally posted by mb7:

@sanjivvinaik

now thats a lose statement about gals. I am not sure about the H4's but H1 gals know better... dont generalize please....

Agree, very valid points about dressing up professionally but, I too didn't dig the comment about "South Indian" girls...why girls from rest of the country all dress up just fine to get to the Consulate? Also, it's "suit" not "suite" :-)

Congrats on getting the Visa!

@white_slip

I am pretty damn sure looks and the way you talk matters a lot and I am not over-blowing it. I am sorry to hear about your visa problems however I am 100% sure that it is not because you wore something right but because of other unknown issues.....

I have not seen more than 20% of the candidate wearing anything close which makes you look like a professional....also as for girls from South ...everyone knows their penchant for ornaments and flaunting them.... whats the problem in calling a spade a spade.. I dont believe in political correctness - I am not asking them not to wear at all... I just think during visa interview you shd make yourself look like more global and open to other culture then being parochial......

white_slip1980 is right.

I myself had an experience wherein the guy in front of me in the queue wore a checkered shirt and a trouser with almost same color and he was wearing a TENNIS shoe (i kid u not!!) and not well groomed as well. I was wondering how this guy is gonna get the visa. I was wrong, his interview lasted less than a minute and he walked away with a BIG smile as his visa was approved. I was next with a decent business attire (neatly pressed clothes, groomed and with a tie), my interview lasted about 8 mins and finally VO put me on admin processing.

While it is true that a full business attire is advisable for any interview, it does not UP ur chances unless u have a strong case and the VO has a good mood (VO's mood impacts lives in a good or bad way!!).

Perfectly balanced post white_slip1980. There is a need to be well dressed and its mere common sense to do that not only for a visa interview but even for a less important business meeting.

Also, right observations on the comments made by someone. Its easy to get pumped up after a visa success and go preaching others and very understandably so but specific comments about girls from south are needless. Anywhere in the world,not only from south or north India, there are girls and boys who do and do not dress appropriately. And BTW there are a ton of H4 girls who dress appropriately too...

Archived