What to expect at Port of Entry for first time green card entry by parents?

Hi All,

I am USC and filled for my parents GC (IR5). Both applications have been accepted and they recently were intereviewed in Mumbai and have been granted Parmanent Residency. They have been in US on visitor visa for multiple times. Now my question is what to expect at port of entry when they arrive as permanent residence of US. They have received sealed envelop from embassy. They are coming to Boston. What kind of questions or procedure to expect? Are there any additional forms the CBP people have them fill out?

Appreciate any insight on this.

Thank you.

Originally posted by texmacs:

Hi All,

I am USC and filled for my parents GC (IR5). Both applications have been accepted and they recently were intereviewed in Mumbai and have been granted Parmanent Residency.

Being pedantic, they haven't been granted Permanent Residency.

They have Immigrant Visas. They get Permanent Residency when they enter the US with the Immigrant Visas.

They are coming to Boston. What kind of questions or procedure to expect? Are there any additional forms the CBP people have them fill out?

First, important, they are not allowed to open the envelopes.

They show the envelopes to the officer at the POE, who will then direct them to Secondary Inspection. They hand the envelopes to the officer there, who will open them, take fingerprints, and put an I-551 (GC) stamp in the passport. The officer will also ask if the address is correct, since that's where the actual GCs get sent to in a couple of days or weeks.

That's it. Pretty painless.

Archived