Greencard for father-no birth certificate

I'm planning to apply green card for my father. One of the required documents for I-485 is birth certificate of my father. My father does not have a birth certificate and he was born before 1970. Can we use my father's school certificate in place of birth certificate? Do we need to get Non-availability of birth certificate from local authorities and also get an affidavit from a relative/friend who is older than him? He is 74 years old and we don't have anyone who is older to provide affidavit.

India (state.gov)

"For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable."

"Alternate Documents: If an individual is born after April 1, 1970, and is unable to obtain a birth certificate, the individual must obtain a certificate of non-availability from the local authorities with jurisdiction over their place of birth. In addition to a non-availability certificate, the following  documents can be accepted as secondary evidence:"

They may ask for a DNA test in lieu.