Working on H1b while persuing PhD remotely in Canada

Hi all,

I am in a tricky situation and I was wondering if someone could provide me with a solution! I am currently on H1b visa working in the USA. I was planning to go for PhD in Canada for which I received the admission. However, plans have changed due to COVID 19 and the university is now offering the program remotely. Will it be possible for me to continue working on H1b and pursue the program in Canada remotely until things calm down? The university is also offering me a scholarship which doesn't require me to work. Will that create any issues? Looking forward to some guidance on this.

12 hours ago, User099 said:

You are NOT bound by US laws when you are in Canada and you are not on H1 when you are out of US. If you have work authorization in Canada you can work from Canada.  

My understanding is that the OP is not in Canada, he is on H1 in the US. The Canadian university offers the program remotely.

While on H1 in the US a person can of course enroll in a university, no matter where that university is, and study remotely.

However, a PhD program requires fulltime studying, and that + working full-time on H1 is pretty much impossible, mentally and physically. Neither studying for a PhD nor working on the H1 level are mindless burger flipping, and the day only has 24 hours.

Edited by JoeF
On 6/3/2020 at 8:27 AM, User099 said:

You are NOT bound by US laws when you are in Canada and you are not on H1 when you are out of US. If you have work authorization in Canada you can work from Canada.  

OP is in USA on H1B and want to see whether they can do PhD online from university in Canada.

I feel PhD with H1B full time employement is hard but Masters can be managable but PhD is hard.

23 hours ago, JoeF said:

However, a PhD program requires fulltime studying, and that + working full-time on H1 is pretty much impossible, mentally and physically. Neither studying for a PhD nor working on the H1 level are mindless burger flipping, and the day only has 24 hours.

You should leave the time management to the OP and can't tell that he can't do a PhD and a Job at the same time. A full time job doesn't mean that you are working 24 hrs for the employer. 

On 6/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, achenred said:

Hi all,

I am in a tricky situation and I was wondering if someone could provide me with a solution! I am currently on H1b visa working in the USA. I was planning to go for PhD in Canada for which I received the admission. However, plans have changed due to COVID 19 and the university is now offering the program remotely. Will it be possible for me to continue working on H1b and pursue the program in Canada remotely until things calm down? The university is also offering me a scholarship which doesn't require me to work. Will that create any issues? Looking forward to some guidance on this.

Ok, I misinterpreted your post earlier. You can work in US and study while on H1. How you manage you time is up to you and no one here should be advising  you on it. 

If you want to be in US, you will have to maintain the job and your H1 status. 

11 hours ago, gopalakrishnach said:

OP is in USA on H1B and want to see whether they can do PhD online from university in Canada.

I feel PhD with H1B full time employement is hard but Masters can be managable but PhD is hard.

Nothing is hard my friend, you just need to know how to do it.