I94 and passport renewal with Indian Embassy

Hello All,

My passport is getting expired on Oct 1 2020.
My I94(Issued during port of entry) is getting expired on Oct 1 2020 which is same as passport expiration date.
My current I-797 is valid until 14 May 2021.

Please let me know your thoughts?

1. I have contacted the Indian Embassy for passport renewal and they told me they could do it when the passport expiration is within 2 months due to COVID.

2. During that strict timelines say if I get my new passport before 45 days of expiration I need to travel out of the country and come back with new passport. Then I get my new I-94 date valid until 14 May 2021.

But, I don't know the uncertainty of travel at that time and if CBP allows H1B or is it safe to travel or not due to COVID I don't know at this moment.

can you suggest me some safer side options without travelling out of the country?

Few options:

-> Am I eligible to apply for H1B extension via my employer based on I94(stamped during port of entry) which  is getting expired on Oct 1 2020? or the H1B extension in this case is valid only before 180 days of expiration of current I-797(14 May 2021)?

-> Without leaving the country what are my options of staying in the USA and get my visa extended?

As we know COVID-19 pandemic made many GOVT offices to shutdown is there any possibility for me to request the Indian embassy one more time? Any solid reasons I can come up with? 

Thanks,
Kumar
On 5/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, Kumar_91 said:
Yes, i have asked my employer and they are checking the possibilities. but anyone from this group has any suggestions I want to take them back to employer so they will have this information as well. I am trying from my side

• 4 months later...