H4 traveling back to US when H1 transfer is pending

murale

Hi,
I recently moved to new employer and my H1 transfer is still pending. Me and my spouse have valid visa till June(2020) from old employer. Currently my spouse is in India and traveling back to USA during February (2020) with existing H4 from previous employer which is valid till June 2020
Can she travel when my visa transfer still in progress?
Will she face any issues at Port of entry? What if the immigration authority ask where your husband works( means she should mention old or new employer or say visa transfer is in progress)

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

You can check online for uscis case status by entering your previous H1 petition number to check if it has been revoked.

I'm assuming you joined the new employer on H1-B transfer receipt.

However, this seems to be straight forward. Your wife can travel on H4 which is valid till June 2020 and has to be honest at POE. If they ask for which employer you are working for, tell that you are working for new employer as it is perfectly legal to start working for new employer on receipt.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:57 PM, murale said:

I don't think my previous H1 is withdrawn but I'm not 100% sure. Checked with couple of former colleagues even they believe my previous H1 might not be withdrawn.

The old employer by law had to inform USCIS that you no longer work there. That results in revocation of the H1 petition. It is mandatory, so you can not use the old H1 petition.

Edited by JoeF
On 1/20/2020 at 11:57 PM, murale said:

I don't think my previous H1 is withdrawn but I'm not 100% sure. Checked with couple of former colleagues even they believe my previous H1 might not be withdrawn.

Even if its not withdrawn as of now, I will not advice her to travel while the current petition is pending. It will be not correct to tell the office at POE that you still work for previous Employer when you have quit that job. 

22 hours ago, User099 said:

Even if its not withdrawn as of now, I will not advice her to travel while the current petition is pending. It will be not correct to tell the office at POE that you still work for previous Employer when you have quit that job. 

Not only not correct, it would be immigration fraud, a felony.

Edited by JoeF