H4 COS in the US vs H4 visa from India

skemsin

I am currently on H1B and would like to quit my job and go to H4 visa as a dependent under my spouse. Which process is faster?

1. Shall I apply for H4 COS and wait till that is approved before I quit? The wait time for approval is 2 months at the moment and I don't wish to wait that long!

2. Is it possible to quit just after receiving the receipt for H4 COS from USCIS? Are there any risks in doing that?

3. Is it better to just quit, leave for India, fill up DS160 and get H4 stamp done instead of going via H4 COS route?

Please advise. I am looking for a fastest option to quit my job and go to H4. I would prefer to stay in US, preferably after quitting my job.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, skemsin said:

I am currently on H1B and would like to quit my job and go to H4 visa as a dependent under my spouse. Which process is faster?

1. Shall I apply for H4 COS and wait till that is approved before I quit? The wait time for approval is 2 months at the moment and I don't wish to wait that long!

2. Is it possible to quit just after receiving the receipt for H4 COS from USCIS? Are there any risks in doing that?

3. Is it better to just quit, leave for India, fill up DS160 and get H4 stamp done instead of going via H4 COS route?

Please advise. I am looking for a fastest option to quit my job and go to H4. I would prefer to stay in US, preferably after quitting my job.

Option 2 works. No risks involved. You can apply for COS to H-4 and stop working as soon as you receive the receipt. You don't need to wait for approval.