State Department now requires U.S. visa applicants to share social media accounts

JoeF

News reports say that visa applicants now have to provide social media account names.

From a CBS ne s report:

"The new visa application forms list a number of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and require the applicant to provide any account names they may have had on them over the previous five years. They also give applicants the option to volunteer information about social media accounts on platforms not listed on the form.

In addition to their social media histories, visa applicants are now asked for five years of previously used telephone numbers, email addresses, international travel and deportation status, as well as whether any family members have been involved in terrorist activities."

Yes this is true and I filled a new DS 160 form and submitted it since I have my H1B visa interview on June 11 at Nogales Mexico and I need to update my DS 160 number in my visa interview application profile. The new DS 160 asked about my social media accounts. I provided all my social media accounts. Its better to give username instead of social media account handle since I feel username is unique and sometimes social media account handle may not.

The only confusion I have is in REVIEW section of the page we see below questions but DS 160 form never provides a way to answer them. I guess there is a bug in DS 160 form since it is newly rolled out.

Have you used additional phone numbers in the last five years?
Have you used additional email addresses in the last five years?
Do you have a social media presence?
- it provides way to give account details but not answer yes or no
Have you used additional social media platforms in the last five years?

Regarding international travel and deportation status I saw only international travel arrival dates and length of stay questions which was in DS 160 for so long. I did not see international travel deportation status . May be it will come soon.

Please let us know if anyone filled it recently.

• 1 month later...

hi

how did the interview go? i'm also filling the DS 160 and i noticed that only in the review section the questions related to phone numbers and email addresses of last five year appear but i'm not able to reply to them in the previous sections. can i submit DS 160 anyway or what should i do?

can you please help me?

thanks a lot

Ilaria 

• 1 month later...

I'm seeing the same issue.
Have you used additional phone numbers in the last five years?
Have you used additional email addresses in the last five years?
Have you used additional social media platforms in the last five years?
But no way to provide answers to them in DS-160 in edit mode and appears only during review of the document.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:29 PM, ilaria.amadori said:

hi

how did the interview go? i'm also filling the DS 160 and i noticed that only in the review section the questions related to phone numbers and email addresses of last five year appear but i'm not able to reply to them in the previous sections. can i submit DS 160 anyway or what should i do?

can you please help me?

thanks a lot

Ilaria 

Did you ever get around this problem?
How did you go about it as i'm notcing the same issue while filling DS-160. your advice is appreciated