H1B visa approved in interview still 221(g) with DS 5535 form

Hello everyone,

I appeared in H1B/H4 visa interview along with my wife in Mumbai on April 22, 2019.
VO asked basic question and said my visa is approved. She kept passports and said I will get it within 3 to 5 business days.

Once I reach home, I received email saying my application is refused under 221(g). Also, fill out attached DS 5535 form and send it back to us for further processing.
That form requires to provide past 15 years employer, address, phone, email, and social media history.
Moreover, I received my passport yesterday along with blue slip saying my application require additional processing and follow instructions as received in email.
I replied to the email as needed.
Does anyone of you know how long it will take to complete this processing?
Any timeframe or next steps?

Thanks.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:00 AM, Sharma27 said:

Hello everyone,

I appeared in H1B/H4 visa interview along with my wife in Mumbai on April 22, 2019.
VO asked basic question and said my visa is approved. She kept passports and said I will get it within 3 to 5 business days.

Once I reach home, I received email saying my application is refused under 221(g). Also, fill out attached DS 5535 form and send it back to us for further processing.
That form requires to provide past 15 years employer, address, phone, email, and social media history.
Moreover, I received my passport yesterday along with blue slip saying my application require additional processing and follow instructions as received in email.
I replied to the email as needed.
Does anyone of you know how long it will take to complete this processing?
Any timeframe or next steps?

Thanks.

Search for DS 5535 in the forum. That may take some time as it is related to background check.

This has been observed quite often these days. I am curious to know what might have triggered the DS 5535.

If you do not mind, can you tell us :

1- What questions were asked ? 

2- WHat is your and your wife's educational backgrounds ? 

3- ANy criminal records like arrest records etc ?

4- Fulltime employment or working for a client ? Your employer well known ?

Regarding your question of how much time it will take ? Nobody knows for sure. 4-8 weeks average I would say. I dont think you would hear anything back from consulate before a month. Execute plan B.

Edited by xTDx
On 4/30/2019 at 9:03 PM, xTDx said:

This has been observed quite often these days. I am curious to know what might have triggered the DS 5535.

If you do not mind, can you tell us :

1- What questions were asked ? 

In DS 5535 I was asked to provide past 15 years of address history, employer history, visited countries. past 5 years of email addresses and phone numbers used. Also, social media usernames. 

2- WHat is your and your wife's educational backgrounds ?

Mine: BE (India), MS in Information Technology (USA)

Wife: BA (India), Diploma in Banking (India)

3- ANy criminal records like arrest records etc ?

No.

4- Fulltime employment or working for a client ? Your employer well known ?

Working for client but I am full time with my employer. My employer is in business from more than a decade with around 500 employees in USA/India.

Moreover, I am in USA from around 12 years. Two years ago I have done successful stamping in Mumbai with the same employer.

Regarding your question of how much time it will take ? Nobody knows for sure. 4-8 weeks average I would say. I dont think you would hear anything back from consulate before a month. Execute plan B.

In your opinion what do you think plan B could be?

Thanks.

Hello, my response are in italic.

Thanks.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:39 AM, Sharma27 said:

Hello, my response are in italic.

Thanks.

Very strange. 5535 (Huge red tape mechanism) is asked usually when they suspect national security or terrorism related links with applicant. Now national security covers a lot of things so no need to worry. It may just take some time. at least 4 weeks I would say. What did the officer ask you in interview ? 

Plan B is up to you. You decide what is your plan B. For some people plan B is to say FU and find a job in home country.

Don't forget to keep us updated. You updating us will help a lot of other people.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:10 PM, xTDx said:

Very strange. 5535 (Huge red tape mechanism) is asked usually when they suspect national security or terrorism related links with applicant. Now national security covers a lot of things so no need to worry. It may just take some time. at least 4 weeks I would say. What did the officer ask you in interview ? 

Plan B is up to you. You decide what is your plan B. For some people plan B is to say FU and find a job in home country.

Don't forget to keep us updated. You updating us will help a lot of other people.

During the interview VO asked:

VO (Lady): Are you renewing your visa?

Me: Yes

VO: Are you still with the same company?

Me: Yes

VO: What is your title?

Me: Software Developer

VO: Whats your salary?

Me: xxxxxx

VO: Whats your highest education?

Me: MS in IT from xxxx university, USA.

VO: Your visa is approved and you will get it within 3 to 5 business days.

Me: Thanks and have a nice day.

She was typing while asking questions, I guess that's regular. She kept our passport. No documents were asked and no questions asked to my wife.

It was a similar experience I had two years ago with same visa interview location and working for same employer.

Once we reached home, me and my wife got email with 221(g) and DS 5535 form attached to it.

Well, I am in USA from long time. But, not sure why my wife got this email as she joined me couple years ago after marriage.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Similar situation for me as well. Working full time for a world-leading financial firm,  had stampings with the same employer twice. have been living in US since 2009 (second entry).

We came on vacation to India and

• Used dropbox on June 24th.
  • Received an email to schedule personal interview
  • later received passports and a letter asking to appear with family any working day between 10-11 am
  • CO confirmed everything looks good and asked to reply to the questionnaire
  • Submitted today and now join the waiting group 🙂

Arun

Edited by arun1974
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...