Employer asking to sign a loan document to pay for PERM (Stage 1)

GreenCardDilemma

Dear Valued members, 

I am in a dilemma. My employer is applying for my employment based green card, however they have asked me to sign a document that I have taken a loan from the company to pay for the green card PERM process. They have asked me to pay monthly installments over the period of 3 years for this stage. As per 20 CFR § 656.12(b) - Improper commerce and payment., I know the employer cannot ask me to pay for the PERM process. If I deny to sign it, they might lay me off. 

I wanted to understand, If I sign the document and they start deducting the amount from my pay check under the pretext of green card loan, do I have any way of getting out of it when I chose to resign from the company.

Appreciate your valued inputs.

Find a better employer.

It is ILLEGAL for the employer to in any form ask for payment of the PERM. The employer BY LAW has to pay for PERM and all expenses related to it, like lawyer fees.

If you pay you won't get a GC. The authorities are enforcing this nowadays.

An employer who breaks the law on this will break other laws as well. Your ONLY way out is to find a better employer.

9 hours ago, GreenCardDilemma said:

Dear Valued members, 

I am in a dilemma. My employer is applying for my employment based green card, however they have asked me to sign a document that I have taken a loan from the company to pay for the green card PERM process. They have asked me to pay monthly installments over the period of 3 years for this stage. As per 20 CFR § 656.12(b) - Improper commerce and payment., I know the employer cannot ask me to pay for the PERM process. If I deny to sign it, they might lay me off. 

I wanted to understand, If I sign the document and they start deducting the amount from my pay check under the pretext of green card loan, do I have any way of getting out of it when I chose to resign from the company.

Appreciate your valued inputs.

So you know what the employer is doing in ILLEGAL. 

Leave this company and report their fraudulent practice(s) to DoL. 

Archived