F1 VISA with retail theft in record

Pooja22

Hi all,

I was charged for retail theft in 2015,(I forgot to pay for stuff less than $18).The charge was dismissed and amended;they asked me to work 16 hours of community service,6 months of court supervision.Currently I am on my STEM OPT working as a contract employee for MNC. My employer do not know about my arrest record.Whats the probability of me getting a full time position now.I have an interview scheduled, if it goes well what are all the problems that I have to face during my background check.Does anybody has the same situation??Any information is helpful.Because of this incident in my life I lost my confidence I do not know if can find a job or just go back to India.

Thank you

I think if you will get your record expunged, you will have problems during immigration, That’s what I heard am not sure though.You will find a job but your employer should trust you after knowing your history, just maintain good contacts and reputation every where.Just keep working hard. Before hiring a lawyer and getting them expunged seek suggestions from people who has faced similar kind of situation, like DUI or something.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, Pooja22 said:

Hi all,

I was charged for retail theft in 2015,(I forgot to pay for stuff less than $18).The charge was dismissed and amended;they asked me to work 16 hours of community service,6 months of court supervision.Currently I am on my STEM OPT working as a contract employee for MNC. My employer do not know about my arrest record.Whats the probability of me getting a full time position now.I have an interview scheduled, if it goes well what are all the problems that I have to face during my background check.Does anybody has the same situation??Any information is helpful.Because of this incident in my life I lost my confidence I do not know if can find a job or just go back to India.

Thank you

dont worry u are ok.. was ur case dismissed? carry certified court disposition, arrest report and immigration lawyer memo letter for the visa interview. you can contact me at century at tutanota dot com or Private message me here in this forum

Archived