F1 OPT to H4 EAD with out gap in employment

sukumardutta26

My wife's opt expires on July 1st 2019. I have an approved i 140 and i am looking to apply for her H4 and H4EAD. 

She is currently employed and not looking for any gap in the employment during this process of status change.

question: 

1) will she be eligible to work until July 1st ( end of OPT) if her H4 gets approved first while she waits for her H4 EAD ?

2) if i apply for her H4 and H4EAD together is it possible to choose July 2nd 2019 as a start date for her H4 and H4 EAD so that she doesn't get any gap in her employment ?

3 hours ago, sukumardutta26 said:

My wife's opt expires on July 1st 2019. I have an approved i 140 and i am looking to apply for her H4 and H4EAD. 

She is currently employed and not looking for any gap in the employment during this process of status change.

question: 

1) will she be eligible to work until July 1st ( end of OPT) if her H4 gets approved first while she waits for her H4 EAD ?

2) if i apply for her H4 and H4EAD together is it possible to choose July 2nd 2019 as a start date for her H4 and H4 EAD so that she doesn't get any gap in her employment ?

You need to file both applications concurrently. You can put a start date July 2nd 2019. What I observed is most of the cases both H-4 COS and H-4 EAD got approved with same start date. In that way there will be no gap in employment. I did the same for my spouse and it worked fine. Try to file as soon as possible. I know July is still 6 months away but processing times are lengthy these days. Try to file early so that you don't have to worry. By the way when is your H-1 expiring? Just asking because if it is close then you can file all 3 applications in premium. (H-1 ext, H-4 COS and H-4 EAD). 

Archived