I-140 approved while in India with 2 weeks remaining on my last h1b

icedmeteor

Hi,

I traveled back to India on Jan 2nd 2018 as my 6 years on my H1b was due by Jan 18 2018 and i had not received my PERM approved by then. So i still have 2 weeks remaining on my last I797.

I got my I140 approved couple of days back. I am confused about the next steps.

Do i need to extend my last h1b as it still has 2 weeks in it or do i need to apply for a new h1b under cap exemption ?

Please do help with the next steps to be taken.

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, icedmeteor said:

Hi,

I traveled back to India on Jan 2nd 2018 as my 6 years on my H1b was due by Jan 18 2018 and i had not received my PERM approved by then. So i still have 2 weeks remaining on my last I797.

I got my I140 approved couple of days back. I am confused about the next steps.

Do i need to extend my last h1b as it still has 2 weeks in it or do i need to apply for a new h1b under cap exemption ?

Please do help with the next steps to be taken.

Thanks in advance.

Your or any employer can file a h1b petition on your behalf based on i140 approval.

13 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

It will be an extension beyond the initial total of 6 years in H1 status and will be exempt from the cap.

Thanks for the information.

I am in India currently and i was told that extension cant be applied while you are outside of US and will have to apply for H1B under cap exempt. Wanted to verify if there is any restriction on applying for extension outside of US.

Archived