My License is expiring in Illinois and my H1B extension is under processing

Varma8989

Hi,

My license in Illinois is expiring on 30th Nov 2018 and my H1B visa too. My attorney has filled an Extension + Amendment (Material change) under regular processing. I called upon DMV on my license renewal and they mentioned that they cannot renew my license with H1B filling receipt. I should have approval letter or notice from USCIS. 

Can you please let me know what options do I have to renew my license. Can I get a letter from USCIS showing that I am eligible for temporary license during my legal stay of 240 days after my H1B expires. 

Thanks,
Swaroop.

4 hours ago, Varma8989 said:

Hi,

My license in Illinois is expiring on 30th Nov 2018 and my H1B visa too. My attorney has filled an Extension + Amendment (Material change) under regular processing. I called upon DMV on my license renewal and they mentioned that they cannot renew my license with H1B filling receipt. I should have approval letter or notice from USCIS. 

Can you please let me know what options do I have to renew my license. Can I get a letter from USCIS showing that I am eligible for temporary license during my legal stay of 240 days after my H1B expires. 

Thanks,
Swaroop.

Not directly answering your question, but one alternative in Illinois might be to get a Temporary Visitor Driver's License which you can get without evidence of status.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:35 PM, newacct said:

Not directly answering your question, but one alternative in Illinois might be to get a Temporary Visitor Driver's License which you can get without evidence of status.

Thank you so much for your reply. I see that TVDL(Temporary Visitor Driver's License) is for undocumented visitors. I know it's a naive question, but  If I consider getting TVDL, will it impact my visa processing? 

Archived