Change of status to H4 and H4 EAD while H1 extension is in progress

kalyani

Hi,

My H1B visa will expire on July 6th. However, my employer filed an extension for me in Non-Premium. This can be extended till end of Jan 2019 including the travel time and vacation time. I should then move to H4 and H4 EAD if I want to continue working.

My spouse's H1B extension is approved till Sep 2021. He also has his I-140 approved.  As his H1B is approved for 3 years and also because of H4 EAD rumors being circulated, I want to change the status from H1 to H4 and apply for H4 EAD ASAP before they revoke H4. My questions are:

1. Can I apply for change of status to H4 while my extension is in progress? Do I need to include any additional documentation for this?

2. Can I apply for H4 and H4 EAD together?

3. Please advise what is the best way to apply in this scenario.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:22 AM, kalyani said:

Hi,

My H1B visa will expire on July 6th. However, my employer filed an extension for me in Non-Premium. This can be extended till end of Jan 2019 including the travel time and vacation time. I should then move to H4 and H4 EAD if I want to continue working.

My spouse's H1B extension is approved till Sep 2021. He also has his I-140 approved.  As his H1B is approved for 3 years and also because of H4 EAD rumors being circulated, I want to change the status from H1 to H4 and apply for H4 EAD ASAP before they revoke H4. My questions are:

1. Can I apply for change of status to H4 while my extension is in progress? Do I need to include any additional documentation for this?

2. Can I apply for H4 and H4 EAD together?

3. Please advise what is the best way to apply in this scenario.

1. Best option is to convert your H-1 application to premium and based on any decision you can apply for H-4 and H-4 EAD after that.

If you apply now, in case your H-1 is approved after your H-4 gets approved, then you will be back on H-1 status. So better to convert H-1 to premium processing and then switch to H-4 and H-4 EAD.

2. Yes.

Archived