Sponsoring visitors visa for parent with my H1B expiring in another 2 months

rahul12345

I need to sponsor visitors visa for my parents. My H1B expires in another 2 months. I am waiting on labor certification for past 3 months. I might have to travel outside US if I don't get labor in next month. In such a scenario, can I still sponsor visitors visa for parents to stay for 3-5 months?

Since I am sponsoring the visa, how much funds do I need to show in my bank account? I have heard its $5000 per person, but i currently don't have that much in my bank. Will that also be an issue?

Thank you for reading!

It could be a little risky as they might issue visa for only 2 months or even deny as you have very little time left on your current status, its better you renew your status and then apply, reg $$ in your bank they will have to substantiate they have ties to home country and assets to take care of as well as cover funds while travelling, including insurance for entire duration of stay (ideal-6m) which 5k seems little low.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, lovely said:

It could be a little risky as they might issue visa for only 2 months or even deny as you have very little time left on your current status, its better you renew your status and then apply, reg $$ in your bank they will have to substantiate they have ties to home country and assets to take care of as well as cover funds while travelling, including insurance for entire duration of stay (ideal-6m) which 5k seems little low.

Thanks for reply. My wife is on F1 and her status is valid for more than another year. Can she sponsor the visa? ...and how much cash does she need to have in her bank per person? Also, if me or my wife are sponsoring the visa, do my parents still need to show property and assets in India during the interview?

There is no sponsoring for visitor visas. You may pay for their trip, but that's not sponsoring.

Your status is irrelevant, they have to qualify on their own, essentially they have to convince the consular officer that they will return to their home country.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:04 PM, JoeF said:

There is no sponsoring for visitor visas. You may pay for their trip, but that's not sponsoring.

Your status is irrelevant, they have to qualify on their own, essentially they have to convince the consular officer that they will return to their home country.

But in DS-160 it does ask if who is paying the trip, right? Also, I am supposed to provide the letter saying that I will be paying the trip, and the expenses during that stay. All this so that they don't have to show their net worth. Its kinda sponsoring, not in the same sense as for other work visas. My question more specifically was whether I need to have substantial amount in bank at the time of interview or the bank statements showing salary deposits will be enough? They will be able to show house, and other property, and relations in India to prove they will come back to India. 

4 hours ago, rahul12345 said:

But in DS-160 it does ask if who is paying the trip, right? Also, I am supposed to provide the letter saying that I will be paying the trip, and the expenses during that stay. All this so that they don't have to show their net worth. Its kinda sponsoring, not in the same sense as for other work visas. My question more specifically was whether I need to have substantial amount in bank at the time of interview or the bank statements showing salary deposits will be enough? They will be able to show house, and other property, and relations in India to prove they will come back to India. 

As I said, paying for the trip is not sponsoring. Your employer sponsored your H1. Paying for a trip for a visitor is something completely different.

And nobody cares about a bank balance. It is well known that money can be moved in and out of an account at the spur of a moment. A snapshot at a certain moment in time is totally meaningless. You could borrow 10 grand, print out the current balance, and then immediately return the borrowed money... The consular officers aren't stupid, they know that this stuff doesn't mean anything.

Regular use of the account, like salary coming in regularly, and payments for rent, utilities, etc. going out regularly is what they are looking for.

Have them apply on their own. They can certainly pay the fares or have you pay the fares. The idea is that it should make sense to visit in the next couple of months. Visiting Bozeman, Montana at this time is not the same as coming to Orange County in the next couple of months. They can certainly get the visa without any major input from you. They DO NOT like to look at any documents and are trained to decide in a couple of minutes regarding credibility. Most tourist visas are granted. They may like to take the Interview in their language if available.

Archived