Section 212(E) discrepancy on J2 stamping and DS 2019

pyridot

Hi,

The consular officer at my visa interview marked the two year waiver (check box that says 'Exchange visitor in the program is not subject to the two year residence requirement' , has been selected) on my DS 2019.  However, my passport was returned with my J2 visa stamped with the section 212(E) applied! The primary applicant holds a J1 visa and is also exempted from the two year residency requirement (DS 2019 and J1 visa one the passport are consistent). 

I have the following questions:

1)  Which document is correct? do i have to fulfill the residency after my visa expires?

2) Will this discrepancy pose a problem at any stage of my travel, stay or EAD later?

3) Whom do I contact if I need to get this clarified? I am based in India and got my visa from Mumbai.

4) What is the processing time I am looking at in case this needs to be resolved before entering USA? My travel date is in 30 days. 

Hope someone can answer my query. This is the first time I have applied for any kind of visa for USA. Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood the 212(E) requirement or other procedures. Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...