Earliest OPT apply date

anitk

Hi,
My COS for H4 to F1 got approved in July. I have enrolled full time for Summer2017(June-Sept) and will be doing the same in Fall 2017 and  Winter 2018 (Jan-March) with which I complete 9 months of consecutive study in F1. This is for a certificate program 

When is the earliest I can apply for 1 year OPT ? Can I apply in Jan beginning with a request date for April beginning considering USCIS takes 3 months to process EAD and by April I would have finished my studies ?

or should I apply OPT in April beginning because that is when I complete 9 months of consecutive study in F1  ? 

I am little confused and would like to know in general which is the correct way ? Will be talking to my DSO as well. 

Thanks in Advance.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:07 PM, anitk said:

Hi,
My COS for H4 to F1 got approved in July. I have enrolled full time for Summer2017(June-Sept) and will be doing the same in Fall 2017 and  Winter 2018 (Jan-March) with which I complete 9 months of consecutive study in F1. This is for a certificate program 

When is the earliest I can apply for 1 year OPT ? Can I apply in Jan beginning with a request date for April beginning considering USCIS takes 3 months to process EAD and by April I would have finished my studies ?

or should I apply OPT in April beginning because that is when I complete 9 months of consecutive study in F1  ? 

I am little confused and would like to know in general which is the correct way ? Will be talking to my DSO as well. 

Thanks in Advance.

You can apply only 60 days before your course completion date. So if your course completes on April 5th 2018, then you can apply after February 6th 2018.

Archived