H1B Extension after 6 years - New Employer with old I-140

Sarah19

I need to understand a few rules before I switch jobs due to a recent layoff, I have an approved I-140 with current employer and I just got a verbal job offer with another company. Here are my questions: 1) Would there be a problem in extending/transferring my H1 to the new company (using my current I-140 since my 6 years will complete in March 2017)?

2) Should I make sure (request) my current employer does not revoke my I-140 after termination? 

3) If I get an extension for 3 years, would I able to work even if my I-140 gets revoked for some reason? This situation is just a scenario since my new employer's corporate policy doesn't allow them to start the GC process until after 1 year of employment. I just want to make sure if H1B extension still applies once approved, even if something happens with your I-140.

I appreciate any/all responses...thanks so much for your help.

6 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

If the new company files before you are let go or within a few days of that there is a good chance of the H1 petition being approved with an I94. No guarantees. Is there a problem applying for a visa if needed.?

6 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

If the new company files before you are let go or within a few days of that there is a good chance of the H1 petition being approved with an I94. No guarantees. Is there a problem applying for a visa if needed.?

No problem in applying for a visa, I wanted to avoid the trip while I am trying to relocate to the new place. I accepted the offer at the new company, they will start the process asap. Do you foresee any issues with a start date of Dec 12? I am hoping we will get the new receipt by 30th. My job at the current company ends on that day.

Archived