Jump to content



  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 allan



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

I am RN with associate degree from USA & i have 3 years Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology & Economics from India i am currently working in a nursing home on OPT. My nusing home is willing to sponsor me can i apply for a H1B visa.

#2 pontevecchio


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,781 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

It said that while general RN positions are not H1B eligible, nurses in the following positions qualify for H1B: (1) Advanced practice nurses, (2) Nurses in administrative positions, and (3) Nurses in certain nursing specialties.

Get a consultation with a Lawyer first.

#3 mariacipri



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hi Allan,
Did you manage to apply for another visa? I am about to finish first semester of Nursing. I am afraid that when I graduate in 2012, I am going to be in your situation. Please let me know what you did!!!
Thank you!!!

#4 misswoosie



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

For an H-1B the job USUALLY has to require a BSN. Even then the USCIS will scrutinise the job description very closely to ensure it meets requirements as "specialised".
This is because in the US an associates degree, not a BSN, is the minimum requirement to be an RN.
Even with a BSN the nurse still has to compete with US RNs to secure the position, so several years experience is going to be required.
I have heard of some clinical nurses (rather than managers) who are classed as specialists getting H1-B eg critical care, dialysis,OR.

#5 Attorney_15



  • Attorney
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:09 AM

Sponsorship for an H1B for a nurse can be difficult because USCIS takes the position that typically nurses are not jobs requiring a BS degree. In some circumstances it may be possible to obtain an H1B for nurse employment.

One should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to explore avenues and obtain specific legal advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users