Is A Green Card Possible Before Going To College?

Hello everyone,

It's probably not everyday that you see a high school student on these forums. I'm 15 years old (16 in October) and I'm attending school in the U.S., going into my 11th grade this year after summer. I'm blessed enough to not face any significant problems or such, but the status of our family still weighs on my mind. I'm being rather selfish and I understand, but I'm ambitious and I am aiming for a top school. But many things have deterred me from doing what I love. As I'm not a permanent resident here, I've been rejected from internships, jobs, summer programs, many things I've been dying to have... You see, I was born in India, but I've been in the US for nearly 13 years now. However, we applied for the green card in August 2007 under EB3 India. Although I may not be eligible for many scholarships, awards and programs in the time to come, I'm really expectant and hoping that it comes by October 2018, or at the latest March 2019, the year I graduate (and get accepted to college). Having a green card would lighten my family's burden of paying international student fees (despite my residing here for years), allow for a multitude of scholarship opportunities, as well as increase my chances exponentially into getting into my dream schools. I'm rather selfish and I understand that-- but my family would really benefit from it as well. If it's most likely not possible, please tell me directly-- I want to adjust my future in order to not be a burden.

Archived