Deadline of OPT stem extension

F1WaitingH1b

My current OPT is expiring on 5/15/17. I have no update on my SEVIS, so my DSO issued me a new I-20 with OPT extended to 6/1/17 due to pending H1b petition. I have a STEM major. But my employer is not a E-verify company. So I didn’t extend my OPT. Since there is almost no hope, I am thinking about OPT extension. But I need to do something first, like changing company. It takes time. My question is what is the deadline for me to submit OPT extension? 5/15/17 on EAD card or 6/1/17 new issued date? I really appreciate your help.

12 hours ago, F1WaitingH1b said:

My current OPT is expiring on 5/15/17. I have no update on my SEVIS, so my DSO issued me a new I-20 with OPT extended to 6/1/17 due to pending H1b petition. I have a STEM major. But my employer is not a E-verify company. So I didn’t extend my OPT. Since there is almost no hope, I am thinking about OPT extension. But I need to do something first, like changing company. It takes time. My question is what is the deadline for me to submit OPT extension? 5/15/17 on EAD card or 6/1/17 new issued date? I really appreciate your help.

Your OPT expiry date i.e. 5/15/17 is ur deadline.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, F1WaitingH1b said:

I contacted with my DSO. They told me that I can extend it even I past the expiry date. It is consistent with the website:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/complete-correct-form-i-9/complete-section-1-employee-information-and-attestation/foreign-students

Please point out any misunderstanding or something I need to be careful. Thanks,

You misunderstood the I-9 verification part. It says your employer can allow you to work on STEM OPT receipt for 180 days if the STEM OPT EAD was filed in a timely manner (which is before expiry of current EAD).

Cross check with an immigration attorney to be 100% sure.

Archived