H1B Visa Extension Delay Due to Project Completion

I'm currently facing a situation regarding my first H1B visa extension, and I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice you may have.

My current H1B (first petition) is valid until July 12th, 2024, and recently, I was informed by my employer that I have received approval for an I-140, but I'm still awaiting the copies. However, my employer has not yet filed for the H1B work visa extension (first extension, after 3 years of initial H1B approval) due to the completion of a recent project with a client.

I'm a bit concerned about the delay in filing for the extension and the potential impact it could have on my status. What steps should I take in this situation? Is there anything I can do to ensure a smooth transition and avoid any legal complications?

Any advice or guidance would be immensely helpful. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

While I tend to pursue the extension filing (before my current visa expires) with my current employer, they mentioned I am required to have a new client project as it is a mandatory process for extension filing (the current project contract ends today). In this situation, I want to understand,

• Is my current employer required to have an end client letter or a new project-related contract for me to file an extension?
  • If a client letter is not required, am I still eligible to request for extension filing with my current employer (or a new employer)?
  • If so, what document sets are required for extension filing?